We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which area to stay in? - downtown dallas

Winnipeg, Canada
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
which area to stay in? - downtown dallas

Hi,

we'll be in dallas for a few days at the end of the month. Which of the downtown areas are the best/coolest to stay in. I have read about the west end, uptown, greenville and deep ellum. Which is best for casual sightseeing, walking around, shopping and dining?

Thanks!

Okie
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which area to stay in? - downtown dallas

I would suggest actually staying downtown...close to all the areas you mentioned...west end has some shopping and various places to eat...looking for a good bar scene hit greenville...10 bars or so next to each other...can just walk in and check them out...not sure of your age, but it's mostly college kids...taxi from d-town probably cost you $15

Check out Deep Ellum which is right outside downtown...bunch of cool bars next to each other as well

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which area to stay in? - downtown dallas

Uptown, there are more hotel choices: ZaZa, Crescent, Stoneleigh.

On the edge of downtown, near the Arts District is the Fairmont - this is a good choice since it's w/in walking distance to the McKinney Ave Trolley (which can take you up McKinney and on to the West Village) and walking distance to the DART Train.

There is a Radisson just north of Mockingbird Station - another good area for shopping and dining. Also on the DART rail.

Saw today on travelzoo: Hotel Lawerence has a good special - rooms under $100. It's near Union Station (where you can catch the DART) or walk to the West End.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which area to stay in? - downtown dallas

Note that there are no hotels in the lower Greenville area or in Deep Ellum, although last weekend I saw a neon sign that made me think one either had just opened or was opening in Deep Ellum. We had passed it before I quite saw it, and haven't had time to go back and check it out.

The Hotel Lawrence looks great. I've seen a room there, somewhat smallish, but very nice. I haven't stayed there so can't speak to the actual comfort. There is a restaurant on the ground level that I haven't eaten at since it changed owners awhile back.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which area to stay in? - downtown dallas

Another new hotel that's just opened is The Belmont and it's getting rave reviews. They will drive you to the transfer station in downtown (in the west end), if you don't have a car.

West End is best in terms of sightseeing because that's where the Kennedy memorial is, the 6th Floor Museum, the downtown buildings (several by IM Pei) and the art museum is close by. The other areas don't really have anything that would be considered sight-seeing.

Lower Greenville, Deep Ellum, and Uptown are all good places to walk around, check out shops, find good places to eat, and find some decent music.

Most of Deep Ellum has cover charges, so I'd walk around there, check out the different types of music and decide whether you want to pay the cover charge. There are also bars like the Angry Dog with lots of people, and no cover charge.

Do be aware of the normal security precautions walking around any of these areas at night. Also, in lower Greenville, be aware you're on the edge of a real neighborhood where residents get damned annoyed at folks taking a leak in their bushes, etc.