We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do during 5 hour lay-over wait at DFW

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
229 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
What to do during 5 hour lay-over wait at DFW

Likewise an earlier post, we also will have 5 hours to spend on the airport. Last Saturday in September. Domestic flight in from NM at 1:50 pm - Arrive at Terminal B. Flight out to Canada at 6:40 pm. from Terminal D.

Is there anything to do near or at the airport to fill a couple of hours on a Saturday afternoon. We will probably have to claim and recheck our luggage since we leave the country on our flight out. We don't want to go far from the airport and risk getting stuck in traffic. Never been in Texas before.

Any advice on how to break the long wait will be appreciated as well as some advice on how to get there.

Thanks.

dallas
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do during 5 hour lay-over wait at DFW

i would recheck my baggage and go to old down town Grapevine or grapvine mills mall are both the closest places or you could go to the four seasons in las colinas for lunch. terminal D is a very nice terminal with alot of restaurants you really do not have time to do anything els unless you wanted to go to down town dallas and go thru the 6th floor musieum and go straight back to airport taxi would be about 60.00 to 70.00 or i have a driver who charges abot the same other drivers about 75.00 one way

Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
319 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do during 5 hour lay-over wait at DFW

Grapevine Shuttle, leaves from Terminal D, upper level... much cheaper. Here a link for schedule and information. Dan's right on with Terminal D having great restaurants and shopping.

https:/…Default.aspx

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,821 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do during 5 hour lay-over wait at DFW

With that little time I wouldn't recommend trying to get over to Dallas. However, for future reference, there is a flat $40 rate for taxis into the Dallas Central Business District

www.dfwairport.com/transport/taxis/index.php

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
229 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do during 5 hour lay-over wait at DFW

Thank you all. Grapevine Old Town looks nice. And the Shuttle seems an easy way to get there. That's precisely what I was looking for.

We will see how the flights turn out and the actual transfer time. If the Terminal has indeed enough diversions we might stay there. But At least we have options now.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
272 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do during 5 hour lay-over wait at DFW

I agree with the others. Grapevine's old downtown is the closest to the airport and is very picturesque. www.grapevinetxonline.com/downtown-grapevine/

Grapevine Mills and The Gaylord Texan hotel are also close by. http://www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylord-texan/

The only problem I see is that there is major road construction in that area and with the time constrains it can be tight to go and return in a timely fashion! Check the shuttle schedule and see if it is going to work out for you.

If you decide to stay at the airport, here is a link to terminal D and all the restaurants and shops

http://www.dfwairport.com/terminals/d.php

Enjoy your short stay in Dallas

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do during 5 hour lay-over wait at DFW

FYI, it's only international ARRIVALS that have to go through baggage claim and customs before rechecking for the domestic connecting flight. For departures, if your flights are ticketed together, your bags should be checked all the way through to your connecting flight, even though it's international.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
229 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do during 5 hour lay-over wait at DFW

Thank you Christnp2, I was wondering about that. This way we certainly have more time if we want to go see do something away from the airport.

Thanks again all for the helpful info.

8. Re: What to do during 5 hour lay-over wait at DFW

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 07:15