We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time trip in May 2013

Western Australia
Level Contributor
523 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
first time trip in May 2013

we are coming in from either Portland Oregon or Seattle, haven't quite decided yet on May 1st 2013. , to visit a friend who lives in Flint Tx, near Tyler, . I have booked a hotel in Tyler from 1-3 May.

It gives us 2 nights and 2 days to fill in Dallas/Fort Worth.. We plan on getting a car so we can see some of the country. Any suggestions please as to hotels in the DFW area,? we are both in our mid 50's and don't mind walking but coming from Western Australia we understand how distances can seem deceiving.. While I don't want to spend a fortune on hotel rooms, which after all are only to sleep in, I don't want to be sharing with bedbugs either :)

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time trip in May 2013

If you plan to spend time in both Dallas and FW (30 miles apart), I'd suggest taking a hotel in Arlington, which is mid-way between the two cities. The Sheraton is recommended often.

Either city's downtown is direct access (15 minutes) on I-30 and the airport is virtually due north (15 minutes) on State Hwy 360. (Times are non-rush hour).

Western Australia
Level Contributor
523 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time trip in May 2013

thank you. I had been looking at Arlingrton. Are there any specific areas I should avoid?

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,879 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time trip in May 2013

Although Arlington has a good location as Karin mentioned, I wouldn't stay there unless you have a reason to be there (ballgame, Six Flags, etc).

To help decide where to stay, make a list of what you want to see or do while here. Read over some of the other posts to get an idea ofwhat has been previously recommended. Order a copy of the Texas Travel Guide or read it on line.

traveltex.com/plan-your-trip/travel-guide/or…

If you want to get a real feel for either Dallas or Fort Worth (I notice you posted in both forums), I would stay in downtown Dallas or downtown Fort Worth. If you want to see some of the countryside, I would look at an area such as Granbury,

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time trip in May 2013

I agree with poodleone: stay in Dallas or Ft Worth. I live 30 min north, and we really enjoy staying IN Dallas so we are not in any rush for the trip home. Go to a theater for the evening, or eat outdoors in a West End restaurant. Sometimes there are evening events at museums that include concerts.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time trip in May 2013

Around May 1 should be a great time to visit the Botanical Gardens in Dallas.

Hotels in the Dallas/Fort Worth area are reasonably priced compared to other areas of Texas and the US. Nearly any hotel in a "name brand" chain should be a good choice

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
436 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time trip in May 2013

Can you tell us a little more about what kinds of things you like to do or see? Outdoors? Indoors? History? Shopping?

I would agree with the above - you definitely need a car around here. Walking is a little tough (and parking is easier and more plentiful than in a lot of cities). I like to establish a launching point where i can have a hotel and walk around to a movie theater and restaurants and shops (there is a great area in Plano at Shops of Legacy that has all of these; there are Marriott properties there) and the highways are easily accessible.

7. Re: first time trip in May 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2013, 05:16