We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dallas or Fort Worth?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Dallas or Fort Worth?

We are going to Dallas for six days in December (main reason for trip is Cowboys games). Have heard many different opinions to stay in downtown Dallas or downtown Fort Worth. Have heard downtown Dallas can be boring at night (we have no children and do enjoy evenings out) We are currently looking at either Aloft Dallas or Sheraton Fort Worth. Any feedback/tips would be appreciated.

Thanks...

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,029 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dallas or Fort Worth?

I like both Dallas and Fort Worth. However, for walking around and finding bars/restaurants/music venues right outside your hotel, Fort Worth's Sundance Square is a great place to be. Plus you can take the Cowboy Shuttle to the game and the Stockyards is an easy cab ride away. You can still visit Dallas- just take the commuter rail, Trinity Railway Express (TRE) over and see the sights.

http://www.sundancesquare.com/

the-t.com/BusService/…Default.aspx

http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/

www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/index.html

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dallas or Fort Worth?

With 6 days and only 30 miles between the two, I'd take time (over-nights) in each city.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
271 posts
2,369 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dallas or Fort Worth?

I live in Dallas and I would prefer to go with "poodle one". Downtown Dallas, for the most part, is very dull at night. Even the West End is experiencing a lot of vacant buildings. Ft. Worth on the other hand is still alive. The transportation issue is not that difficult from Ft. Worth. have fun!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dallas or Fort Worth?

Hi, Kik2!

All the replies you have received so far are good ones!

Being a native to the Metroplex (Dallas/Fort Worth) area, I have to agree with poodleone. For a taste of north Texas, old and new, Fort Worth is the spot. Stay somewhere near Sundance Square. It is clean, safe, fun and friendly. Transportation, should you need it, is easily found. Historic spots are a plus. Definitely visit the Stockyard area.

All that being said, Dallas has its good points too and a night or two somewhere downtown will give you the opportunity to visit the art district though, as texaswillie said, it gets dull at night and some areas are just not that safe if you are afoot. If you are visiting while the Texas State Fair is open, that might be a fun trip as well. Rides, exhibits, vendors, shows and the annual competition for the newest unique fried foods make memories. My husband and I have gone every year since we met in 1979 and it makes a fun date (though we now make sure to take a small bottle of Tums with us).

I am not sure if I helped or hindered, but either way, I hope you enjoy your trip.

Welcome to Texas!

Edited: 14 September 2012, 11:20
Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
28,835 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dallas or Fort Worth?

I just came back from Dallas it nice but Ft. Worth is the place to be indeed its hopping.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dallas or Fort Worth?

I don't think anyone goes to downtown Dallas for a night out anymore. The West End hasn't been active for at least 10 years. All the action has moved to Uptown, West Village, Oak Lawn, Victory, etc.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dallas or Fort Worth?

I live in Dallas 1.5 mi from the central business district and like both cities. Aloft is a good location. Dallas nightlife has picked up tremendously in the last five years. At one point no one would be found in downtown other than at transit stops after five pm. It's much, much different now with many bars/restaurants and some clubs.

One of the major differences between the two cities is that Fort Worth has shopping, movies, live theater, and Bass Hall in the Sundance Square district, in addition to bars/restaurants, so there are lots of options as to how to spend your time that are all just a few blocks apart. In Dallas it's bars and restaurants.

I think Dallas is worth a day or two visit, but agree that it would be best to spend more time in Fort Worth.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,029 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dallas or Fort Worth?

If you have been anywhere in the Arts District at night in the past couple of years, especially when the museums are having special events, it is fairly obvious that people do still go downtown Dallas for a night out. It's amazing to me how many more people live downtown just in the past few years.

Edited: 22 September 2012, 13:21
Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,099 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dallas or Fort Worth?

Main St District is popular at night with Wild Salsa, Dallas Chop and Chesterfields....and that's just a few places. Was down there yesterday for PARK(ing) Day - Wild Salsa was hopping.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dallas or Fort Worth?

Yes, when I was saying bars & restaurants, I was thinking of the Main Street section that's picked up from Neiman's down to the back of the Magnolia and those environs.

I got to the DMA's late night fairly often, as well as just to theater, music in the Arts District and over to Deep Ellum. too.

Tonight we were at the West Village and they're having a big Arts event with live music, etc. It was really great. We were there to go to the Magnolia to see Robot & Frank (great movie!) and stayed to look at art,etc.