We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dallas itinerary

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
563 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Dallas itinerary

Hi guys,ive put together a short itineray for my Dallas stay in february staying in dallas 3 nights,arrive 1.45pm friday, so by the time i get through customs etc id suggest my friday night will be just to recover from flight ( 17 hours ).saturday is my first full day so id like to walk leisurely pace up to sth harwood check out,old police headquarters, then walk up main to houston onto elm re: jfk motorcade,then visit sixth floor museum, all this would take approx 3 hours,then ( this is the question id like you guys to help me with ) possible get a taxi to take me to oakcliff to see other jfk related sites, texas theatre , 10th and patton,1026 north beckley etc, is there a cab service that would service my needs at my pace ? and how much do you think a driver would charge ? any advice would be good advice guys.Then on sunday visit heritage park and maybe cowboy stadium tour if its available cheers john b

Edited: 16 September 2012, 04:24
Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dallas itinerary

I have read about one of the JFK assasination tours that might be what you are looking for

http://www.dealey.org/tours00.htm

For the Cowboy Stadium tour, you will need to take a cab to Arlington

…dallascowboys.com/tours/tourInfo_InfoTime.c…

Edited: 16 September 2012, 12:45
dallas
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dallas itinerary

Have you thought about renting a car while you're here? Dallas metroplex is pretty spread out and taxis expensive. Going to Arlington to see the Cowboy stadium is 20-30 minute drive depending on traffic, time of day. And you really should visit Ft. Worth while you're here. Completely different than Dallas. Enjoy your trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
563 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dallas itinerary

Thanx for your advice guys, actually poodle i had been reading something online over the weekend regarding ken holmes tours, hadnt realised he passed away until i read your link, looks very interesting so im going to read up all the info and well may take that tour cheers guys thanks again for your help john b

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dallas itinerary

I would also suggest checking this site with the Dallas Historical Society (be sure to scroll down the page for examples of past tours.) I know they've done JFK tours in the past.

There's an e-mail address for information and you could send her an e-mail and ask to be notified of anything planned during the dates you'll be in town. Their tours are really great with folks who are particularly knowledgeable.

www.dallashistory.org/activities/tours.htm

Oak Cliff is nice and eclectic with interesting shops and restaurants. The Texas Theater has been renovated recently and has some very interesting musicians and events going on.

http://thetexastheatre.com/

I'm glad you're considering Dallas Heritage Village. I volunteered there for many years and it's a fun walk with some beautiful views of downtown. Great place for photos.

Another great place for photos and a city park, also, is Fair Park. Even when nothing is going on, it's fun to walk around and see the buildings. The Hall of State is well worth a visit as it seems you're a history buff and would find it of interest. It is operated by the Dallas Historical Society and the above link for the tours has other links for the Hall of State. I like this one because it gives you a sense of what's there.

www.dallashistory.org/tour/DHS_Tour.html

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,182 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dallas itinerary

Also, regarding a taxi "is there a cab service that would service my needs at my pace ? and how much do you think a driver would charge ?"

I called Yellow Cab company (214)426-6262 and was told that you can arrange for a cab driver to take you wherever you want to go with as many stops as you like. The driver runs the meter for mileage charges and when you stop to visit/take photos the charge if $0.45 a minute.

As has already been suggested, you might have an easier time of getting where you want as you want by renting a car.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
563 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dallas itinerary

Thanx chrystin for your advice and help, again much appreciated guys cheers jb

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dallas itinerary

Please post a trip report when you get back. Your information would be very helpful and timely with the 50th anniversay coming up next year.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
563 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dallas itinerary

will do poodle

9. Re: Dallas itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2013, 10:15