We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best restaurants to visit in Dallas/Fort Worth area

Woodridge, IL
Level Contributor
56 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Best restaurants to visit in Dallas/Fort Worth area

We are going to be staying with a friend in Trophy Club for about 10 days in May. I'd like to get some opinions on what the best restaurants are in the area - in all price ranges.

We're already thinking of having one "fancier" night at Wolfgang Puck's restaurant in the tower. However - we'd like some input from those that are either locals or visit often on other restaurants we shouldn't miss. We know Capital Grille is a top high-end spot - but we want the view and we regularly go to a Capital Grille outside Chicago.

Some BBQ ones I've heard of include North Main BBQ in Euless, Off teh Bone in Dallas, and Angelo's in Ft. Worth.

Other restaurants I've heard of include Avila's or Pepe's & Mito's for Mexican in Dallas, The Chop House Burger in Arlington, Fred's Texas Cafe in Ft. Worth, and Pecan Lodge in Dallas.

How are those - or are there others you'd recommend?

Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Pecan Lodge
Pecan Lodge
1,346 Reviews
Dallas, TX
Chop House Burger
Chop House Burger
299 Reviews
Dallas, TX
Fred's Texas Cafe
Fred's Texas Cafe
134 Reviews
Fort Worth, TX
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,188 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best restaurants to visit in Dallas/Fort Worth area

You have a great list so far! I like Pepe and Mito's best over Avila's.

Take a look through this list...all super and amazing!!! dallasnews.com/entertainment/restaurants/hea…

Also add Smoke, Bolsa, Oddfellows, Wild Salsa, Nonna, Tei An. Woodshed in Ft Worth, Nonna Tata also in Ft Worth.

Mentioned in this post
Wild Salsa
Wild Salsa
327 Reviews
Dallas, TX
Tei An
Tei An
125 Reviews
Dallas, TX
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
103 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best restaurants to visit in Dallas/Fort Worth area

I like the BBQ at North Main in Euless, but sides are limited to potato salad,, cole slaw, and beans. If you're going primarily for the meat, no problem. It is all-you-can-eat buffet and is only open Friday-Saturday. For BBQ, I prefer The Feedstore in Southlake. I find the quality of the BBQ about the same (maybe a little better), but you order a plate instead of buffet, with a greater choice of sides. It's also not as dark inside. Tastes in BBQ can be quite personal, so take what anyone tells you as being good (including me) with a grain of salt.

My favorite place for burgers is Twisted Root, which has several locations in the area. I prefer the original location in Deep Ellum in Dallas. Their burgers are large, and they make their own pickles, condiments, and root beer. Besides beef, they have a selection of burgers made with exotic meats. They almost always have bison and venison, and sometimes other meats like alligator. They had beaver for a limited time once. The atmosphere is fun, too.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best restaurants to visit in Dallas/Fort Worth area

Since you'll be in Trophy Club, Roanoke is next door and has a number of very good, casual restaurants - most notably Babe's Chicken Dinner House and new kid on the block, Bayou Jack's pretty decent Cajun.

I'd skip Avila's and never look back. Off the Bone Dallas gets mixed reviews, but (no relation) Off the Bone Ft Worth is consistently rated very highly. Only drawback, it's on the far south side of FW. I'd add from personal experience, the normally meaty, moist and tender ribs have been kind of dry on Sat visits - closed Sun.

Stephan Pyles and Dean Fearing are Texas chefs who refined Southwestern haute cuisine and introduced it to the masses a couple of decades ago. I would not leave town without sampling one of their creations.

Mentioned in this post
Fearing's Restaurant
Fearing's Restaurant
550 Reviews
Dallas, TX
Babe's Chicken
Babe's Chicken
194 Reviews
Cedar Hill, TX
Roanoke
Roanoke
Virginia
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Texas
Texas
United States
Big E
Level Contributor
97 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best restaurants to visit in Dallas/Fort Worth area

If you want original Mexico City mexican food go to Javier's - it is outstanding food and a very neat place to go as well. It is in the rotation and a top 5 of my family.

Abacus off McKinney Ave. in Dallas is also in the rotation and a top 5. Kent Rathbun is also in the elite group of Texas chefs as well.

I would google these two places before you make your decision. All the restaurants mentioned above and these are really good.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico City
Mexico City
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Texas
Texas
United States
ARLINGTON, TX
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best restaurants to visit in Dallas/Fort Worth area

Hard eight BBQ and Babes in Roanoke. Grapevine, Southlake and Roanoke have no shortage of Good places to eat. Cheap to expensive. Esparza's in Grapevine for Mexican.

Mentioned in this post
Roanoke
Roanoke
Virginia
Grapevine, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Best restaurants to visit in Dallas/Fort Worth area

Some really good options are: Chef's Point in Watagua, TX; Tim Love's 'Woodshed' in Fort Worth, TX is amazing; Reata in downtown Ft Worth; Nick and Sam's is a great steak house.

Lot of good options.

Mentioned in this post
Nick & Sam's
Nick & Sam's
560 Reviews
Dallas, TX
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
301 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best restaurants to visit in Dallas/Fort Worth area

Great list, and many really good suggestions.

My favorite restaurant in Dallas is Fearings.

I'd also recommend Smoke.

Tei-Tei Robata bar or Teppo for sushi.

The Grape for really good bistro style.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
8. Re: Best restaurants to visit in Dallas/Fort Worth area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2014, 06:17