We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Plano, Texas in May, how far to Dallas?

Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Plano, Texas in May, how far to Dallas?

We are staying in Plano for 2 days in May. Is there anything worth seeing or going to in that area?

Also want to visit Dallas, how far is Dallas away and how much would a taxi be?

I have heard of the DART but wouldnt know which stops to get on and off at? Never visited Texas before.

Any advice?

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Plano, Texas in May, how far to Dallas?

It's about 20 miles. Taxi would be close to $50, one way.

If I were you, I'd figure out specifically what you want to see/do (museum, shopping, zoo...) and then figure out transportation. DART has a website that will tell you which stops and connecting bus for which attractions.

You might also want to consider renting a car.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Plano, Texas in May, how far to Dallas?

From Plano to Downtown Dallas is easy on DART's Red Line - no transfers. Stops of shopping interest might be Park Lane with an easy transfer to the North Park Center Shuttle and Mockingbird Lane. If museums interest you, the downtown Pearl Station is within a few blocks walk of world class museums in the Arts District. Also downtown is the JFK Museum/West End, lunch at Neiman-Marcus flagship store.

Returning to Plano, you'd look for the Red Line designated PARKER ROAD which is the final stop in Plano. With the exception of a brief stretch underground, maybe a mile, the Red Line is above ground - just in case underground weirds you out. A LOCAL day pass is $5.00 and allows unlimited, all-day access to all light rail lines and busses - MUCH less expensive than a taxi.

If you'll further define your interests, specifics could be better pinpointed. If you are comfortable with the ride into downtown, from the Arts District you could take the M-Line Trolley, a free,donations-accepted transfer up McKinney Ave into Uptown for pubs/eats/shopping.

DART Red Line schedule and How To Ride info - click individual station links at left sidebar for additional info: www.dart.org/riding/dartrailredline.asp

Edited: 22 January 2013, 14:36
dallas, texas
Level Contributor
134 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Plano, Texas in May, how far to Dallas?

Dallas and it's suburbs are very spread out. I would rent a car. It is very easy to drive and get around DFW. Plano has great shopping malls and dining areas. Museums and entertainment are in downtown Dallas. If you like to eat and hang out for after dinner drinks go to Legacy Park in Plan it has shopping, dining and bar scene. There is an Ipic Theater in Allen, very close to Plano, which is an upscale movie theater where you sit in recliners and can order from a menu. Very nice. Have fun. Dallas is a great place to visit :)

Dallas, Texas
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Plano, Texas in May, how far to Dallas?

Plano is about 15-20 min drive from Dallas depending on where you are staying. We have great Museums and lots of really cool places to visit. You can do a day at the Perot museum of science and natural history with $15 entree fee and $5 movie ticket. On that note our Dallas museum of Art is now FREE with TONS of permanent collections. You can eat at our own local Twisted root burger place which is AMAZING! you can go to our deep ellum area for dinner and music. Or if you want to go upscale we have the Reunion tower restaurant owned by Wolfgang Puck. I hope i gave you enough of a list there. Enjoy your time here! :)

Dallas
Level Contributor
147 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Plano, Texas in May, how far to Dallas?

Agree with the others- i would definitely rent a car! I drive from Dallas to Plano daily, and doing it in a taxi would be very expensive! Especially during traffic!

Where In Plano are you staying? If its west Plano, the Parker road dart station is not very close.

Edited: 28 January 2013, 19:25
Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,211 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Plano, Texas in May, how far to Dallas?

Plano is a very large city. Many areas really need a car or you'll be stranded. A few have things of interest within walking distance from hotels and some are convenient to public transportation.

7. Re: Going to Plano, Texas in May, how far to Dallas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Dallas