We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for a visit in April?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for a visit in April?

Hi everyone, I'm planning to make my first visit to Texas in April!! I will be going to an event at SMU and won't have a car. I am completely unfamiliar with the neighborhoods (except what I've read on here) and am wondering where would be a good area/hotel/B&B to stay in that is reasonably priced but would give a good feel of the city? It doesn't have to be right by SMU, could take a cab to get there. Thanks for the help, so excited to visit your state!!!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,956 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for a visit in April?

Near SMU is Hotel Palomar which may be a host hotel for the film festival that is in April. Double check the dates.

Also look at the Lumen which is across from SMU but in a nice neighborhood for walking (Highland Park and University Park) plus many businesses along Hillcrest.

ARLINGTON, TX
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for a visit in April?

Pepper is right. One of the best areas is right by SMU. Have fun and welcome.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for a visit in April?

You didn't say the length of your stay or how much free time you'd have, but DART's (light rail) Mockingbird Station is within a short walk from Hotel Palomar - shops, restaurants, indie theater. Looking at the Mockingbird web-site, they show a shuttle to/from SMU campus during regular sessions. dart.org/riding/…mockingbirdstation.asp

www.dart.org/schedules/busschedules.asp…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for a visit in April?

Great, thanks so much for the input!

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
64 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for a visit in April?

Good Day Pepper,

My husband and I are travelling Texas in April. Could you please elaborate on the film festival you mentioned? Thanks

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,956 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for a visit in April?

Hey Colleen - look up dallasfilm.org. I don't think they have a complete schedule yet. Runs April 4-14. There is always something interesting to see. They have stars come in to support their movies....Usually big weekend premieres. Sometimes they have Q and A with directors and producers.

On April 6, The Color Run is going through Fair Park. Should be a good time!! We're doing it with the family.

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
64 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for a visit in April?

Hi Pepper, thank you for the info, would have loved to be part of the festival, but unfortunately we only arrive second half of April. Flying in to New York, spend 3 nights there and then to Atlanta to do roadtrip in Texas for 12 days. From Atlanta on to Augusta, Colombia, Charlotville, Knoxville, Nashville, Memphis, Oaklahoma, Dallas, Houston, Galviston, New Orleans, Atlanta. Any suggestions?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,956 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for a visit in April?

Colleen - you should start another thread to include your information which is different from the original topic.

Knysna, South Africa
Level Contributor
64 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay for a visit in April?

Thanks Pepper, I shall do that

10. Re: Where to stay for a visit in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2014, 05:15