We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

McKinney Ave/West Village restaurant recommendations

Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
McKinney Ave/West Village restaurant recommendations

My husband and I are headed to Dallas next Friday for a convention, but have a free evening on Friday. We would love some restaurant recommendations for the McKinney Ave/West Village area as we are planning to explore that part of town after we arrive since we've heard its better for exploring on foot and by trolley. We are in our early 30's and huge food lovers (we like just about everything if its prepared well) but prefer warm and fun atmospheres over formal/white table cloths. We don't have any budget in mind as this will be our one special night out.

Any suggestions would be great!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,736 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: McKinney Ave/West Village restaurant recommendations

Next Friday will be late night at DMA and Crow Collection - both open until midnight. We have a big food truck scene and many should be there....Nammi's banh mi is my favorite. If Late Night sounds fun but food trucks don't, then consider Samar or Stephan Pyles Restaurant.

One of my favorite places in the city is Tei An in One Arts Plaza. Not exactly in uptown but quite close. A more casual Japanese place is Yukata.

If a pub sounds better, Idle Rich is good. Great fish and chips.

In West Village, Taco Diner is good. Great patio if weather is good.

On McKinney at Lemmon, I like Hook Line and Sinker. Good basic seafood.

We often like to end up at Ritz Carlton for coffee and dessert.

I jumped around quite a bit, there is quite a bit to choose from. Hopefully I didn't confuse you too much. :-)

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: McKinney Ave/West Village restaurant recommendations

In the West Village area most of the restaurants are upscale, moderately priced. Two favorites of ours are Grimaldi's (pizza and salads only) and Baboush (excellent Mediterranean). These two just happen to be right down the block from each other. The other restaurants in the West Village are good, but depending upon your food preferences, these are the two we like best.

http://www.grimaldispizzeria.com/ Note that Grimaldi's salads are HUGE, do not order a salad for each person!

http://www.baboushdallas.com/dinner.html

Stephan Pyles is expensive, but you stated price won't matter, and he's one of the top chefs in America, so definitely a worthy choice.

Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: McKinney Ave/West Village restaurant recommendations

Thank you both, now we have lots of options! From your desciptions, it sounds like this area is perfect for us. We were considering checking out DMA and the Crow Collection after dinner, so Pepper I'm glad you mentioned it.

Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: McKinney Ave/West Village restaurant recommendations

Follow up question - it looks like I'm going to have more time on Saturday than I thought while my husband is at meetings I don't need to attend. I'd love to have an area to go walk around and maybe do a little shopping/window shopping, grab a light lunch and wine and do some people watching. Do you have any suggestions? We live in VA where its high of 40 degrees right now, so I want to enjoy the warmer weather and sunshine and experience Dallas culture since I've never been there. I'm not particularly interested in going to any museums that day.

We are staying at Hilton Anatole, but I can take a cab or the rail anywhere you suggest. We live in the city, so I'm not afraid of urban areas. I've heard mention of unsafe areas (and I'm sure like any city, there are some) but if its just urban, I am used to that, especially if its during the day. Any suggestions? Should I just go back to the West Village/McKinney area, or are there other areas I should explore instead?

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: McKinney Ave/West Village restaurant recommendations

If there is any possibility of you renting a car for the day, I'd suggest visiting Grapevine's Main Street (just north of DFW Airport) - independent shops/boutiques, wineries/tasting rooms, a couple of galleries, etc. Assuming nice weather, I believe you would enjoy it based on your interests for Saturday, but taxi fare would be $40 one-way. http://www.downtowngrapevinetexas.com/

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,879 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: McKinney Ave/West Village restaurant recommendations

The Medical/Market Center DART light rail station is right across the highway from the Anatole- perhaps they could shuttle you over there. I think you could easily spend more time in Uptown. Another good place to eat/shop/people watch is Mockingbird Station, which is also a stop on the light rail. There isn't as much walking around but it is still a fun area. Trinity Hall is a neat Irish pub there.

Oh, and I will add a restaurant in Uptown that we like- Breadwinners.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 21:26
Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,879 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: McKinney Ave/West Village restaurant recommendations

I just realized I wrote that the Medical Market Center station is DART light rail- it is actually on the TRE (Trinity Railway Express) line, so you would need to change to DART at a station down the line such as Victory Station. Sorry- shouldn't try to do this at work!

ARLINGTON, TX
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: McKinney Ave/West Village restaurant recommendations

Take the TRE to Fort Worth. 1 hour train ride to intermodal center. Take molly the trolley to The Fort Worth Stockyards. TRE station across the hiway from The Anatole. Restaurants, Bars and Tons of Texas Shopping.

mollythetrolley.com/downtown_get_around.html

www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/index.html

http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/

Edited: 11 February 2013, 00:30
Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,736 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: McKinney Ave/West Village restaurant recommendations

If you'd like to stay in Dallas, check out Bishop Arts area. Main cross streets are Bishop and Davis. Many unique shops and restaurants. More along Davis heading west and kind of ending around Polk.

Some of my favorites are Oddfellows, Dude Sweet, Bolsa Mercado. There's a run down looking ice cream shop near the main intersection in a yellow bldg - they have some interesting flavors like corn and pine nut.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,905 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: McKinney Ave/West Village restaurant recommendations

I would also suggest the Bishop Arts area. It has artsy, funky, eclectic shops, a variety of interesting places to eat or stop for a drink. It won't necessarily occupy you for the entire day, but very worth visiting.