We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive Non-Stop to Disney World?

Keller, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Drive Non-Stop to Disney World?

My family is driving to Disney World in May 2013 and between my husband and I, I think we can just drive straight through and stop just outside Disney for the night and get up in the am and check-in (though our room won't be available until after 3) to get our Keys to the World and head out to the parks. Has anyone done this? Is it a bad plan?! We will have our 3 yr old and 7 yr old in tow.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive Non-Stop to Disney World?

That is too long of a drive. I would stop and overnight in the Florida Panhandle or play on the beach for a day and arrive Orlando area at night. Request a late check out at your beach hotel so you can clean up before you drive on.

Everyone will feel alot better at Disney if you are well rested and you can get an early start the next day.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,794 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive Non-Stop to Disney World?

We drive from Dallas to New Orleans a lot. And that drive is just about as much as our kids can handle....8 hours. I'll say bad plan, since you asked.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,358 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive Non-Stop to Disney World?

I recently did a 17 hr trip so it is doable BUT not for children. You need to stop at least every two hours which will add two hours to your trip making at least 18 hours. You are not saving money if you stay the night at Orlando--just getting a couple of hours in the park and VERY CRANKY kids

If you don't stop you are risking your childrens health

Edited: 06 March 2013, 18:22
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,358 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive Non-Stop to Disney World?

PS Get a hotel in the Mobile /Daphne Al area with an indoor pool ie the Fairfield Inn Daphne in Spanish Fort Al and enjoy the evening. Get up early and you will be there by noon

Mesquite, Texas...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive Non-Stop to Disney World?

Driving straight to DW is about a 20hour drive, with pit stops. As a former truck driver who ran this route, this is what I'd do. Start early around 5am, get into Tallahassee. Early the next morning again 5-6 AM, you should arrive at the Mouses' House,as the truckers called around 1-2 o'clock and you shouldn't be dog dead tired, as if you had driven straight though, and you vacation will start off to a great stop. Make time to stop and see an alligator show, while you are there, or even take an airboat ride (A lot of fun).

Be extra careful driving in and around Orlando; You have tourist from every part of the world that driving is a deadly road race that has you in it. They will runs, stops signs and pedetrians at will...

YOu can have a wonderful time and great memories, if;

#1 always keep your safety and security your #1 concern

#2Stay in well lighted, toursit active areas, no alleys, dark doors, etc...

#3 Keep a few dollars in a trowaway wallet, if mugged throw past the mugger and run like hell the other way.

# 4Don't flash cash, use a credit card when possible for paying for meals, etc.

#5 Don't let your kids out of the hotel room to even go 50 feet to get ice or a soda, by themselves.

#6 Take a photo of everyone, and how the are dressed for the day, and close up of the kids. WIth little one's, Before I left home, I would make ID cards for them with name, age, parents name (all cell number) hotel number and a friends number for home, and may-be a picture of the parents, you can guy self laminating cards at walmart, punch a hole though and tie it one your child's shoes or article of clothing. Also have child wera an I.D. tag on wrist. With kids you can't be too careful...sp. with a 3 year old, who can get lost in a heart beat...Have you considered get a monket or ladybuy backback with a "leash", or one of new alarms when a kid get out of range?

I hope you have wonderful and joyous trip, just please be careful!

Safety Chic

Mesquite, Texas...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive Non-Stop to Disney World?

One other thing - best and fastest way to go.

I-20 east to Sheveport to I-49 to I-10 east to Tallahassee ( Lots of hotels, make reservations this time of year (requesting late check in) take I-10 east to I-75 south, past Ocala, fl (about30 miles more or less) you will come to the Floria Turnpike - this is a TOLL road, cash only, I think. (call FLorida DOT) and find out how much it costs if you need to know this before hand. BTW, alot fo roads in Orlando and area are toll roads!

From Tallahassee, its abot 5.5 hour drive!

This site may help you find out about current tolls;

turnpikeinfo.com/florida/tolls/tollData.php

Safety Chic

Southlake
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive Non-Stop to Disney World?

Felschurch nailed it! We have young kids too, we stay in Mobile, tour the USS Alabama, then push through to Orlando. Fort Morgan is a fun side trip if you want to do that in Mobile maybe on the way back.

However, the first few trips we did were with our older kids when they were 6, 8 and 12. They know that when you stop at the gas station THAT'S when you use the restroom, not 10 miles down the road and say, "Oops I need to go the restroom!".

We did this drive last November 2011 with a 3 and 4 1/2 year old and I vowed to never do it again! But I'm old now and my body can't take long drives or annoying sounds anymore! The drive to Mobile is BRUTAL! It's boring and nothing but trees and occasional gas stations to visit all through Louisiana. It's fun from Keller to Shreveport, then becomes a beat down. If you are going to do it here is my list to keep you and your hubby sane:

Leave in the morning early enough to get to Mobile by the kids bedtime (10 hours)

Take a portable toilet. There are sections of road that you'll be in trouble if they need the restroom.

Put a pull-up on the 3 year old. Even if they are potty trained. Tell them it's just special traveling undies for 3 year olds but not to use it unless it's an emergency! On that note, take a change of clothes and undies for kids inside the car.

Heck! If y'all really want to drive all the way through the whole 20 hours, get some Depends! Lol

Take entertainment for the kids. Ours have IPads and to have Internet, we used a MIFI instead of having a data plan for each Ipad. This also allowed us to use our computers and iPads so we can work on the road.

Take some new special car trip coloring books, color wonder books, etc.

Don't take toys that make noise

Take headphones for kids AND you! Make sure their headphones cover the ears and have extra batteries if they are wireless.

If you have a DVD or iPod function for movies buy a few new digital or DVD movies that they haven't seen, that will buy you 6 hours of quiet.

Don't take toys with pieces like duplo or games with pieces or you will be reaching in the backseat every 5 minutes and murdering your poor back!

Make your husband let you drive! I have to peel my H hands off the wheel! He loves to drive but he gets so tired! Jump in at gas station!

Travel pillows for kids' necks, they will fall asleep and their necks could get sore if their heads are hanging in the middle of the car.

Give kids a bath in the morning and put them in pajamas for the car so you can just throw them in bed when you get to Mobile and Orlando.

Take velcro tying shoes for the kids so when you stop you aren't tying shoes.

Take trashbags for all of the McDonalds, etc trash.

Pack a small cooler with juice boxes, waters, cheese sticks, grapes, apples cut up in advance. Take crackers, fruit snacks, and cheerios in baggies too! Pack enough for everyone. If it requires a spoon to eat I'd probably pass on that since the kids will probably spill it and you'll have a mess.

Baby wipes! Lots and lots of baby wipes!!!

Roll of papertowels, Gallon of water for washing up messes mostly, or your hands if you need to change tire, get gas on you, etc. You always need water in car on long road trip!

Beach toys, swimsuits. You MIGHT want to stop at the beach in Pensacola. We did and it was a great break for the kids! CAUTION! If you think there are trashbags washing up on shore, they are JELLYFISH do not touch and they have very long tentacles so tell the kids if they see a long bluish plastic string or "bag" do not touch! Scout out ahead of where they will play!

I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out! This is my must have list after doing this trip at least 4 times.

Good luck!

Sherry

Mesquite, Texas...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive Non-Stop to Disney World?

When you play on the beach, as SHerry mentioned the jelly fish, a good thing to have with you is a small 3oz spray bottle of apple cider vinegar and a bottle of meat tenderizer...If you or kids get stung by a jelly fish, spray the vinegar and make a paste of the meant tenderizer, this will help decrease the pain very quicky, watch for a reaction to the string and seek immediate medical attention if produces, any thing like, hives, hard to swallow, fever, etc...

I've been "hit' by the jelly fish, and it can hurt like hell, but keep this kit handy, and it help...

Safety Chic

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
492 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Drive Non-Stop to Disney World?

When we took our kids to Disney (they were 6 & 8) I wrote DH's cell number on their arms in permanent marker, under their t shirt sleeve. Two reasons -if they got lost we could be easily reached, and if they went missing an abductor couldn't get that off their arms.

As for the drive - we have done 14 hrs with our kids in a day. Lots of stuff to keep them busy & healthy snacks for all.

Mesquite, Texas...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Drive Non-Stop to Disney World?

Great idea baout the magic marker ID...