We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 days in Texas, how many in Dallas?

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
221 posts
251 reviews
Save Topic
11 days in Texas, how many in Dallas?

Hi everyone!

My husband and I just bought a ticket to Dallas. It was something out of the blue (we couldn't resist the fare), so we haven´t really planned anything yet.

We've been wishing to go to Texas for a long time (we love tex-mex food) and we really want to get the feeling of the place. We do not intend to go to any museums, unless it´s really worth it. We pretty much like walking around and trying different food (and beer). So far the Deep Ellum (Deep Elm), the Dallas Arts District, the Fountain Place and the Reunion Tower Lookout caught my attention (I've been doing my homework). And we really want to go to a good traditional steakhouse.

I have absolutely no idea for how long should I stay in Dallas. I was planning on driving to San Antonio and Houston, but I'm really open minded.

We´ll be going from March 30th to April 09th.

Thanks for the help!

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
221 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 days in Texas, how many in Dallas?

We are also looking for a hotel in a good area for around US$ 100 (am I being too cheap?)

Thanks again!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 days in Texas, how many in Dallas?

I'd spend more time in San Antonio and the Texas Hill Country (which usually has beautiful wildflowers at that time of year), before I'd spend extra time in Dallas. Could you tell us a little more about your interests - do you like the outdoors, live music, barhopping? Then we can give you more detailed recommendations.

If you have an late afternoon or evening flight out of Dallas, then I would recommend 2 nights each in Dallas, Austin, a town in the Hill Country (Fredericksburg or a "dude ranch" near Bandera). San Antonio, and Houston, and then drive back to Dallas early on your last day. Otherwise, just 1 night in either Houston or Austin, depending on your interests, and then return to Dallas for your last night.

If you don't mind staying in roadside motels, around $100 will get you a room just about anywhere. I am sure you can find deals for around $100 at nicer hotels if you look long enough. I'm not terribly familiar with hotels in Texas cities, though, as I stay with family when I visit, but maybe some other posters can help you.

Edited: 07 March 2013, 05:43
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,453 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 days in Texas, how many in Dallas?

San Antonio is the place to head for overall Tex-Mex food

for ex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKUxOD0tJic

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
221 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 days in Texas, how many in Dallas?

Thank you so much!

Yes, we do love live music and barhopping!

As for the outdoors, I'm more of a city girl, so I love to walk around, but I'm not really into nature or trekking.

My husband asked me if we could include New Orleans in our programation.

I know we would have to do things in a hurry, but I though it wouldn't be impossible.

I was thinking about going straigh from Dallas to Ausin and spend the night there. Then going to San Antonio for one or two nights and after go to Houston for two or three nights. From Houston we could go to New Orleans for two or three nights and then go to Dallas.

Does it sound like a good plan or should we just enjoy Texas?

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,418 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 days in Texas, how many in Dallas?

That plan is doable. I am not a big fan of Houston, so I'd be tempted to keep Houston to a minimum and spend more time in NOLA or SA.

I have great luck with Hotwire blind hotels 3 or 4 stars well under $100 per night. NOLA hotels will be higher.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 11 days in Texas, how many in Dallas?

RE Hotels - Be sure to check Priceline, etc for good prices on quality hotels. They will most often have better prices than the hotel websites.

While in Dallas/Fort Worth, you want to spend time in Fort Worth, reserving time for the Stockyards. They host a rodeo every Fri/Sat night and the White Elephant Saloon and Billy Bobs TX are in the immediate area. Sundance Square in FW is in the downtown district and offers a number of entertainment venues/restaurants/clubs. If you enjoy flower gardens, visit the Botanic Gardens near the cultural district.

http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/

http://www.sundancesquare.com/

I'd suggest 2 days/nights in D/FW followed by the remaining time in Austin/SanAntonio, which are only a little over an hour's drive from each other. Good BBQ in and around Austin, as well as a lively music scene. The drive to New Orleans will eat up a day (8+ hours driving straight through) each way, but there are scenic sights along the drive which might make it worth your time.

visitdallas.com/things-to-do/…

http://www.fortworth.com/things-to-do/

Dinosaur Valley State Park is about an hour west of FW - if you enjoy nature at all, it's kind of a fun thing to do. tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/dinosaur-valley

tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/dinosaur-valley

Texas
Level Contributor
497 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 11 days in Texas, how many in Dallas?

I would spend more time in San Antonio. I also would make a stop at Gruene. Fort Worth (stockyards) and San Antonio (river walk) have more to see than Dallas and especially Houston.

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
221 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 11 days in Texas, how many in Dallas?

Great tips! Thanks!

So here is my plan:

We'll be arriving in Dallas at noon, so day 1 will be spent at Fort Worth. Day 2 we'll head early in the morning to NOLA (for some reason it's way cheaper to do it in the beginning of the trip then in the end). We'll spend 3 nights in NOLA. Then on day 05 we go to Houston for one night. We stay in San Antonio for 2 nights. On day 08 we leave SA and go to Dallas, visiting Austin before getting there. Days 09 and 10 we visit Dallas and spend the day shopping at the Premium Oulets (it will take a whole day, I know). Day 11 we may be able to do something in the morning and then go to the airport, since our flight departs at 4 p.m.

Does that sound like a good plan?

We thought about spending one more day in SA instead of Dallas, but then we'll have only one afternoon and one morning to see Dallas. Isn't the city worthy of an entire day?

I do not want to compromise my shopping day ; )

Thanks a bunch!

ps: is Arlington a good place to stay in our first night?

Texas
Level Contributor
497 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 11 days in Texas, how many in Dallas?

I would spend more time in San Antonio and Fort Worth and less in Dallas and skip Houston. There is a large premium outlet mall in San Marcus just north of San Antonio.

Texas
Level Contributor
497 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 11 days in Texas, how many in Dallas?

I guess I am a little bias, I used to live in Houston and that traffic really beat me down.