We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Arlington to Farmers Branch

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Janesville...
Level Contributor
426 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Arlington to Farmers Branch

I am staying in Arlington and want to drive to Farmers Branch to visit my cousin. Could someone tell me the best way to get there (via car) and also what will the traffic be like?

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Arlington to Farmers Branch

I-30 East to 161 (Bush Turnpike) North to Belt Line Rd East. Taking Josey/Marsh/Midway South will put you in FB.

Janesville...
Level Contributor
426 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Arlington to Farmers Branch

Thank you. Any idea how long that will take me if I do not go in rush hour traffic?

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Arlington to Farmers Branch

I just checked mapquest and they suggest taking Valley View Ln rather than Belt Line. VV will take you directly into FB.

They estimate 33 minutes, but I think 45 minutes should be plenty of time if you hit no traffic snags and all green traffic lights along Valley View. I'm kind of a stickler about being on time, so if it were me, I'd allow an hour and just bide my time if I were lucky enough to get there early.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Arlington to Farmers Branch

I want to make certain you understand that 161 is a toll highway. There are no toll booths, but will have cameras to take a picture of your license plate and mail you a bill, even for out-of-state plates. Assuming you are visiting from Wisconsin..... if you will be in a rental car, you need to make arrangements for a toll tag at pick-up, otherwise, it's my understanding the rental-car fee becomes highway robbery.

If you choose to take another route, the next most straight-foreward route would be I-30 east into downtown Dallas, then north on I-35 to Valley View. Rush hour or not, there always seems to be a snarl on 35 which has the potential to double your drive time, particularly if you don't know the N/S detour thoroughfares into FB.

Janesville...
Level Contributor
426 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Arlington to Farmers Branch

Karin, We will be driving our own car. So let me get this straight. I do not pay any tolls if I am on 161. They will just send the bill to my house? Would it just be cheaper and more convenient for us to get a toll tag?

We live near the Illinois Tollway and we have their EZ Pass which gives us almost a 50% discount over just paying at the toll booth.

I am getting so confused. Thanks for your help.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Arlington to Farmers Branch

Assuming you're in a 2-axle auto, if you make one round-trip, it would probably be less than $10 - rate amounts are different by tollway/exit-to-exit. It's hardly worth trying to figure it out - quite confusing. There's a chart on the website, but too small to read. You could call (see link below) for an exact amount.

Looking at North Texas Tollway Authority"s (NTTA) FAQs, they've provided a *special* Zip Pass for out-of-staters. And yes, it is cheaper with the toll tag. Here's a link to their website - see "What about vehicles with out-of-state license plates?" https:/…ttfaq

If you plan to spend much time in Dallas, there are 2 other tollways that you might find yourself traveling. And "yes", they will just send a bill to the home where the auto is registered. Hope this helps rather than making it more confusing.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from Arlington to Farmers Branch

FYI - if you are staying in Arlington closer to I-20, you can take I 20 to the Bush Turnpike too. Both 20 and 30 have exits to the Bush Tollway.

You may call the NTTA to see if your EZ pass works here. 972-818-6882 to get a cheaper rate.

Most of the homes in Farmers Branch are closer to Valley View, so I suggest you take that exit. Beltline is usually more crowded anyway.

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from Arlington to Farmers Branch

You could also drive north on Hwy 360 and then go through DFW airport ($2 toll; cash or tolltag). Then 635 LBJ to Josey Lane. Go north on Josey. This would be cheaper than the 161 route, although you might encounter construction on LBJ. It might also be faster since you skip downtown Dallas.

9. Re: Best way to get from Arlington to Farmers Branch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 04:17