We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

miniature version of savannah, georgia in dallas area?

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,235 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
miniature version of savannah, georgia in dallas area?

I heard there was a miniature version of the city of Savannah in the northern Dallas area. Has anyone heard of such a place?

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: miniature version of savannah, georgia in dallas area?

There is a community way north off of Hwy 380 between Denton and McKinney called Savannah. I have never been to Savannah Ga., but I think this is the one you are talking about.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: miniature version of savannah, georgia in dallas area?

Based on the video posted in a different response thread the only thing these two communities have in common is the name Savannah.

I'm from Georgia, spent a lot of time in Savannah, and I know of no community in this area that has the same style homes and in town community.

The closest thing to it in terms of intown community in Dallas is probably the Uptown area, but not at all like it in styles of homes.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,535 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: miniature version of savannah, georgia in dallas area?

I'm with ChrystinP I can't think of any place in north Texas that remotely reminds me of the lowcountry. McKinney is nice (the old side, east) with quaint old homes and narrow streets.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: miniature version of savannah, georgia in dallas area?

The Savannah community north of Dallas reminds me of an east coast seaside community. Still, it is the only one in the area that is remotely associated with the word Savannah, so I am pretty sure it is the one that knr is referring to.

Southlake, Tx.
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: miniature version of savannah, georgia in dallas area?

I wonder how long it has been since either one of the so called experts have been to Georgia or the low country, Savannah in particular.

I am familiar with both the real Savannah, and the development north of Dallas. I have been to both within the last 6 months. The architecture of the homes of both are almost identicle.

Go to the video of the development in Aubrey(north of Dallas)

video.google.com/videoplay…

Then go to www.newhomes. com

Click on Savannah Georgia, and then click on any home listed, and you will see the similarities.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: miniature version of savannah, georgia in dallas area?

"I wonder how long it has been since either one of the so called experts have been to Georgia or the low country, Savannah in particular."

I was last in Savannah, GA, about 5 years ago. Have been to Charleston, SC, (similar style city) in the last two years. Savannah and Charleston's historic districts have not changed much, to me, in the 30 or so years I've been visiting these cities. When we were high schoolers we used to hop in our cars for day and weekend trips to these cities. However, I'm not an expert on either one.

Grandpadiver, you seem to be extremely resentful because I posted an honest response as to what the reasons for Grand Prairie homes being undervalued was in another thread. It's interesting to me that in the month or so since that exchange, there have been several national reports related to issues of racism in America. Apparently, if it's reported in USA Today or other national publications it's okay for print, but a regular citizen can't talk about racism without being considered a racist.

I've never been to the development "Savannah" in Texas. The film advertising this development is about 85% kids and adults being interviewed at a pool/waterslide area, 5% developers talking, and 10% exterior views of homes. A few of the homes appear to be more federalist design and have some porches similar to late 1700s/early 1800s coastal designs, but a great many of them just look like typical new developments in Texas.

I thought the Marine Corps family from California was most accurate when they said it reminded them of California. It reminded me of California, too. (Southern California, and I'd bet the Marine Corps guy was stationed at Twentynine Palms.) It reminded me of CA, not just because of the palm trees, but the extreme mix of housing styles, the flat yards, and the desert looking environment (was there grass in the yards? I don't see any in my mind's eye of the tape.) I do think it's nice they have such a mix of housing styles.

I can't open the other site you referred to, but if it's pictures of new homes, then that may be the problem. I am not thinking at all of anything related to Savannah's new construction, but rather the historic district and what I think most people think of when they think of Savannah.

And again, "local experts" are picked by TA for reasons of their own. As I've said before, my opinion holds no more weight than anyone else's, and there are many people who post on these boards who know more than I do. When I respond on these boards, I'm trying to share knowledge, expertese, or experience that I have. People who use these boards should take our responses and filter them with other sources of information.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: miniature version of savannah, georgia in dallas area?

That last paragraph, spelling should be expertise, I thought I had correcte a typo, but apparently deleted the wrong letter. I hate that we can't correct typos on these boards, because spelling and grammar errors really drive me nuts (when I catch them).

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: miniature version of savannah, georgia in dallas area?

We all have typos, even Grandpadiver. (identicle...identical)

A friend sent this to me in an email.

Here is a quote on spelling:

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

I dno't feel so bad aobut all my tpyos in the psat now! Atlaest you got the frist and lsat ltteer in the rghit pclae Chritsyn.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,535 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: miniature version of savannah, georgia in dallas area?

I was born and raised in Beaufort, SC. Savannah was the closest city we visited at least 3 or 4 times a month; the last time I was there was four years ago; and I've never been to the development in question. I would still be very reluctant to say that architecture alone can recreate the ambiance and history of these southern belles.

10. Re: miniature version of savannah, georgia in dallas area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 10:36