We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For those who ask about using the tollways

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,029 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
For those who ask about using the tollways

BEWARE: If you use a tollway, watch your mail! Your bill may arrive in a plain envelope. And, if you are like me, you may overlook the bill, throw it away and get a second one that DOUBLES the "toll + 50%" that you are already charged for not having a toll tag.

We were prepared for the upcharge when we used the tollway in March. I had done my research and knew the $5 toll would actually be $7.50. However, I forgot to keep an eye out, must have tossed what looked like junk mail and got a bill today for $7.50 PLUS an $8 fee for not paying the first time. DH spent an hour on the phone, spoke to 7 people and finally convinced someone that it really, really was an honest mistake.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For those who ask about using the tollways

I wonder if the initial bill was lost/wedged in junk mail (I've had that happen before). I drive 121 several times a year and the bill's envelope always clearly indicates NTTA (N Tx Toll Auth). I'm glad you were able to straighten it out, but what a hassle.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,029 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For those who ask about using the tollways

Karin- I too thought it would indicate NTTA on the envelope but the one we got today was a plain envelope. Weird, huh?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For those who ask about using the tollways

It has to be some of their trickery. Why else on earth wouldn't the envelope be properly marked. I know I would have tossed an envelope like that. NTTA is notorious for being difficult.

I'm thankful that I have a toll tag.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For those who ask about using the tollways

I'd like to add that sometimes it takes a LONG time before NTTA sends a bill. I made one round trip on the Dallas North Tollway in July 2012 and didn't receive the bill until mid-April 2013. It was the first bill, too, but it did come in an envelope labeled NTTA. I didn't have a toll tag, the bill was based on the license plate.

I went ahead and signed up for a TXTag, which is good for NTTA, to avoid future possible hassles.

Edited: 15 May 2013, 08:21
Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,029 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For those who ask about using the tollways

I have to admit a certain nostalgia for throwing coins in the basket at the toll booth. As a Texas kid, I was fascinated by the whole toll road concept when we visited other states. Then OMG going to Six Flags and getting to throw money at the exits on the Dallas Fort Worth Turnpike- we felt quite cosmopolitan.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,604 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For those who ask about using the tollways

I got stung with the high bill the first time several years ago. My envelope was clearly marked. It was my own fault. Since then, I opened EZ Tagl account. I put $20 in it. I get emails when it gets to $5 and I add more. No problems and I breeze through the EZ Tag lanes on the tool roads that still have cash lanes.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,029 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For those who ask about using the tollways

Despite nostalgia (mentioned above) I do like the ease of having them take a picture of my license plate without having to slow down or stop. Even when we lived in the metroplex, I so rarely got near a tollroad, I didn't have to think about it. With many more tollroads in the area now, if/when we move back a toll tag is definitely in my future.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For those who ask about using the tollways

Is it true that vehicles with toll tags from one of the TX systems can use the HOV lanes in Houston during non-peak hours?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For those who ask about using the tollways

Wally - I don't know much about the Houston highway system. I do that you can use an NTTA TollTag on Houston's tollroads. But aren't HOV different?....High Occupancy Vehicle....usually two or more persons.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For those who ask about using the tollways

Wally, I traveled through Houston last weekend and noticed that the HOV lane on I-45 was open to toll tags. I thought that was unusual, but I read that 635 here in Dallas will allow toll tags in the HOV when it is rebuilt. I used Beltway 8, a toll road, on my way home and there was very little traffic on the section that goes through the northeast side of Houston. I thought it was well worth the extra cost to pay the tolls and avoid Houston's horrendous (IMO) traffic.