We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dallas

Nottingham England...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dallas

We are travelling to Dallas and staying for 2 nights - 1 full day. Is it better to pick up a hire car from the airport and return it back or get a taxi from the airport and hire a car from the hotel?

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,219 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dallas

It depends on the nature of your visit. Where you are going to stay and what you would like to do.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,570 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dallas

If you can find a hotel with shuttle service, they can pick you up at the airport and take you to the hotel.

You have plenty of time to return the car, and the shuttle can take you to the airport.

This way, you don't have to worry about missing or being late for your flight.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dallas

It's generally less expensive to hire a car away from the airport. Enterprise Rent-a-car will pick you up from your hotel and bring you to the lot for your car, and vice versa when you turn it in.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
301 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dallas

I live in Dallas and travel back and forth to the airport quite regularly. I either take a taxi or the Uber car service.

If you tell us where you are staying I, or someone knowledgable of Dallas, could let you know if a rental car is necessary. If you are only here one day, perhaps a car is not necessary. Again, depends on where you are staying, and what you intend to do.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Nottingham England...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dallas

Thanks everyone for all the advice - it is actually for my daughter and her friend. I know that they do need a car for the one full day they are there, as there is somewhere they want to go - which I've forgotten! I am passing these messages on to her - great help - thank you.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,570 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dallas

If she books a big chain hotel, they have more frequent shuttle service.

Some hotel even work in conjunction with a certain car rental company, and has on-site rep and car. Or the rental car company would bring the car to the hotel. This will be most convenient on a short trip.

The hotel shuttle pick you up at the airport.

You get the rental car the next day (or whenever) at the hotel.

You return the car at the hotel.

The hotel provides shuttle service to the airport.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dallas

Assuming arrival is at DFW Internat'l Airport and if they are staying in Dallas "proper", there are no hotels that shuttle to/from DFW. The airport is a considerable distance from Dallas' central business district and most hotels only offer shuttles within a 5 mile radius - some less.

If they are staying in Grapevine or Irving, a hotel shuttle may be the answer from DFW.

Cab fare between DFW and downtown Dallas is $44. http://www.dallasyellowcab.com/rate.html

Mentioned in this post
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,570 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dallas

That is why knowing more details are important.

The Sheraton, for example, has service to Love (with a charge, $17 I believe) and they have Hertz in-house.

Nottingham England...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dallas

They are staying at the Crown Plaza - which I think is pretty central. I have had a quote from a limo service which the Hotel put me in touch with (linea motions limo)- and they wanted $65 each way to and from the airport. The only reason they really need the car whilst they are in Dallas is that they want to go to the Mesquite Rodeo on the Saturday night. The Limo company quoted $60 each way for that too. To hire a car from the airport for the 2 nights they are there is approx $55 I think.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Nottingham England...
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dallas

Now it turns out that they haven't actually booked the Crown Plaza - and since looking at it - the price has gone up. So I have now been asked to look at hotels for them. What is the best place in Dallas for them to stay? The main centre part, Love?????? Don't know where to start.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas