We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4.5 hour stopover in Dallas

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
4.5 hour stopover in Dallas

We have a 4.5 hour stop over in Dallas, (on our way to San Fran), never being to Dallas or knowing how far the DFW airport is from the city of Dallas I am wondering if we have time to get a cab or some other menas of transport in for a few hours and then return for our San Fran flight?

I would appreciate any feedback.

thanks

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,935 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4.5 hour stopover in Dallas

It isn't clear...are you coming from out of country and have to go thru immigration? If so you do not have enought ime to leave DFW

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4.5 hour stopover in Dallas

sorry, we will be flying from Memphis to San Fran, Dallas is a stop over in between.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,463 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4.5 hour stopover in Dallas

it really depends on the time of day. If your arrival or departure are at/near typical work hour commute times, then no, you would not have enough time to get into Dallas and not be totally stressed.

It might be best for you to take a cab to the historic downtown area of Grapevine. Close to the airport.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
267 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4.5 hour stopover in Dallas

Sorry, but best answer is to stay in the airport. Once you de-plane and get outside to a taxi you're looking at a bit of time. The airport is about 30 minutes from anything interesting. Then you take the time to look at whatever. Then 30 minutes back, back through security, etc. It's not worth it in my opinion.

There is a tram you can take between terminals and stay within the secure area. Head to Terminal D which has the best restaurants and you can spend time in the nicest terminal at least. You could also buy a day pass to an airline club.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4.5 hour stopover in Dallas

As mentioned, Grapevine has an interesting Main Street - about 7 blocks for walking, window shopping or stopping in at one of many independently owned boutique style shops, restaurants and a number of wine tasting rooms. https:/…Default.aspx

That said, you need to know that some areas of the Metroplex had 100º temps today, so walking may not be the most enjoyable choice for wiling away a few hours. Another issue may be your return trip via taxi as you'd have to phone for a pick-up. You might schedule a return trip with the driver taking you to G/vine.

An option other than taxi: Grapevine has a shuttle (small fee) which circulates throughout Grapevine (different routes). The Yellow and Orange routes include both Main Street and the Grand Hyatt with direct access to DFW Terminal D. Click the link, select Schedule Brochure, then scroll for more information and map routes. https:/…Default.aspx

Edited: 11 June 2013, 00:43
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4.5 hour stopover in Dallas

Thanks to you all you have given me some things to think about. And least now I have a better idea of how big the city of Dallas is, I'm starting to think I might just see the airport . On this trip anyway. Thanks guys.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4.5 hour stopover in Dallas

It's less about how big Dallas is as opposed to how far away from the airport downtown Dallas is. Depending on your source 20-25 miles. That's a lot of highway miles in a very car oriented metroplex with constant construction underway.

8. Re: 4.5 hour stopover in Dallas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 05:16