We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Constuction

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Detroit
Level Contributor
3,023 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Constuction

We just got back from Dallas, TX. Stupid question - why is every single highway under construction? Is there some major development that is being done? The worst was Hwy 30 from Ft Worth to Dallas. Our GPS was very confused as it kept thinking we were driving off the highway! :-)

Travellers - 35W and 35E are two seperate highways. Yes you can travel 35W North and South which we found very confusing. It made sense once you get to Denton and it becomes one highway again.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Constuction

Yes, that whole thing with 35E and 35W going north and south is very confusing. Especially since here in the US the interstates are numbered so that highways that run east-west are even numbered (such as I-10), and the ones that run north-south are odd numbered (I-45, I-59 etc). Therefore, and as it does for most of its length, I-35 should only be north or south. That whole 35E and 35W thing really puts a spanner in the works.

Hope someone who knows comes along to clue us in. I've assumed it has something to do with the positions of Dallas and Fort Worth in relation to DFW, but that is a tenuous assumption at best.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Constuction

The I-35 division has nothing to do with DFW and everything to do with the fact that we have two major cities within 30 miles of each other with lots of people who want to go to one or the other. The division takes the W branch (always North-South) through Fort Worth and the E branch (always North-South) through Dallas. We don't refer to them as E or W normally, because we know what city we're in. If I'm giving directions to something in FTW that involves I-35 I still don't say W because we know we're in FTW.

A few years ago the Dallas Morning News reported the I-75 has only had one three-month interval when it has not been under construction somewhere in TX in the last 50 + years.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Constuction

Thanks for the clarification. Still confusing to a visitor since that way of labeling is an anomaly. I have a family member who lives near I-35E and the first time I saw I-35E North I had to look twice. Still always takes a little mental adjustment when I am in the area.

TX
Level Contributor
5,715 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Constuction

You are so right -- those of us who live here are just as puzzled as you are as to why every single flippin' main artery seems to be under major construction at the same time! It's extremely frustrating to be stuck in traffic when you try to go almost anywhere, and this fact has actually caused us NOT to get out and do as much as we ordinarily would. Perhaps when (if?) it's ever all completed, our roadway system will be efficient and it will have been well worth it all - but for now, it's little more than an enormous PITA.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,670 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Constuction

When I first moved to Dallas in needed to get onto 35 going north but all I kept seeing was 35E - thinking it was pointing me in the wrong direction. Pretty sure I was in tears and not sure where to go. Ugh!!...I can only imagine how difficult it is for someone from out of town.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Constuction

One of the two branches should be named Loop x35 to be consistent with other branching interstates. Maybe I 835 since there already is an I 635.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Constuction

It is simple. Every highway in America goes mainly North and South or East and West. Intersections with highways are signed to indicate which way to turn to go in the desired direction. I35E and I35W are no different.

One would think that a look at a map would be all that is required to know which highway or freeway one needs to take and in which direction.

Loops typically go around cities. The I35 branches go through the cities. The same thing occurs in Minneapolis and St. Paul, MN, on I35 with the same I35E and I35W designations.

As for the construction, it may be that our government wants to build all it can while the Chinese are still willing to lend the US money to do so.

8. Re: Constuction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 05:18