We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid sim cards available at DFW after arrival?

Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Prepaid sim cards available at DFW after arrival?

Hello again:

My son arrives DFW on Wed Aug 14 afternoon by the AA flight AA 051 from Heathow..

He already has a Samsung Galaxy S phone and we are wondering whether he can buy a prepaid sim card of say $10 value max for his first few days - before he signs up for an annual plan with one of the agencies like AT&T or others. $10 may be good enough - as it will only be for local calls for the first few days.

Queries:

Where to buy this card before/after he clears immigration?

After a few days - which would be a plan to go for - where his current phone can be used? I have read that most plans come with a phone? - is this correct?

Thx !

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,965 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prepaid sim cards available at DFW after arrival?

If your son can wait until he gets off of the airport, it would be so much cheaper to go to a Walmart, Target, Best Buy king of store. If he has to buy at DFW, there are two located in the D terminal- Best Buy Express and Straight Talk Wireless. There are no shops once you pass through immigration.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,997 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prepaid sim cards available at DFW after arrival?

I don't know much about phones purchased in another country. I wonder if they are compatible with US mobile service providers such as Verizon, Sprint, AT&T. Usually when you start a contract with one of these providers, you get locked into a 2 year contract. I don't know if this will work for your son. At Target, you can get a pay as you go phone from Virgin Mobile - that might be an option if the US providers can't unlock his phone. I do know there is an independent mobile phone shop at Lemmon and Oaklawn (in the strip where Fashion Optical is located) - I have had friends get phones unlocked there and set them up with service.

But maybe you have already researched all this.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prepaid sim cards available at DFW after arrival?

ok - thx for the replies.

I guess he will chk out these 2 stores before immigration. Samsung Galaxy S is a universally popular phone - so presumably if he buys a prepaid sim card it should work.

Thx

4. Re: Prepaid sim cards available at DFW after arrival?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2014, 20:12
Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prepaid sim cards available at DFW after arrival?

Thx Will - the AT&T option looks good.

Thx

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prepaid sim cards available at DFW after arrival?

I may be mistaken, but I believe that international arrival passenger are routed directly to Immigration and Customs without an opportunity to visit the shopping area inside security at Terminal D. Unless there is a kiosk along the path to Immigration (there may be), your son will not have the opportunity to visit these shops. The interactive map at www.dfwairport.com does not show either of these businesses outside security (after Immigration & Customs). Does anyone have a recommendation for outside security?

The area around SMU will have plenty of places where he can take care of this.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,965 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prepaid sim cards available at DFW after arrival?

SebastianDallas- I think willzzz88 gave some good info that kind of negates any of our airport suggestions.

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Prepaid sim cards available at DFW after arrival?

Yes, Poodle, I agree: good answer. But I was concerned about leaving Kato or others with the mistaken impression that they could access shops upon international arrival at DFW. While some U.S. airports (e.g., Denver) have a reasonable array of options outside security, sadly DFW does not. This business of "no-transit-zone" and "yes-you-will-be-outside-security-after-I & C" confuses many people arriving from overseas. :)

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prepaid sim cards available at DFW after arrival?

Whatever the kind of phone it must be unlocked, i.e. not tied to a particular carrier. Verify this is the case by switching the SIM card with one from another carrier to see if the phone still functions. Straight Talk has the best deal that I've found so I recommend your son visit a Walmart store. It uses the ATT GSM service so the coverage is good. Sebastian is correct in that arriving international passengers can't get to the shops without going back through security after clearing customs & immigration; without a boarding pass for a connecting flight that can't be done.

Chennai (Madras...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Prepaid sim cards available at DFW after arrival?

I think there is company called RaKaCell in India, visit their website www.rakacell.in

They are providing SIM Card, also gives you the phonenumber before you board the flight. Actually they are giving local USA Sim card named ULTRA SIM, which got good deal and value for money. You can call India for 1000 minutes per month, unlimited local outgoing call within USA, and unlimited SMS to all countries for just $29.