We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking for Cowboys game/Tailgating etiquette.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
290 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Parking for Cowboys game/Tailgating etiquette.

We are coming for the Giants/Cowboys game on the 8th September.

Staying in The Residence Inn, cultural district in Fort Worth but will be coming from Dallas on the afternoon of the game. I have a few questions.

We are planning to do the JFK book depository tour at lunchtime. Husband and myself did this a couple of years ago but want to take my son this time.

If we want to get to the stadium in time for a good wander around the tailgating areas ,say an hour or two, what time should we leave Dallas?

Also where do we park? Do we have to book a space?

We are lucky to have been to several games over the last few years at various stadiums but have never understood the etiquette of tailgating. Lots of people seem to have enough food and drink to feed a small army. Is this just all for them or can you go and buy food from them and have a chat?

Thanks in advance

Annie

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking for Cowboys game/Tailgating etiquette.

you might get some good answers at City Data Dallas. No fee for quick sign up to post message.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dallas/

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking for Cowboys game/Tailgating etiquette.

I prefer to park at the nearby shopping center, grab some food/drinks and take the free shuttle over. There you can wander around. There is parking on grounds so you can just follow signs.

It is only a 15-20 minute drive from downtown. As for etiquette, I wouldnt be comfortable jsut walking up to a tailgate but that's just me!

lincolnsquarearlington.com/park/…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking for Cowboys game/Tailgating etiquette.

I prefer to park at the nearby shopping center, grab some food/drinks and take the free shuttle over. There you can wander around. There is parking on grounds so you can just follow signs.

It is only a 15-20 minute drive from downtown. As for etiquette, I wouldnt be comfortable jsut walking up to a tailgate but that's just me!

lincolnsquarearlington.com/park/…

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,459 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking for Cowboys game/Tailgating etiquette.

At any sports venue, most tailgaters are there for a social activity with friends--not to sell the food. Many times the groups you see have names and even compete at time in the season to see who will be named best tailgaters. Others are just there with friends to have a good time at the game.

I can't help you with your specific questions about parking and booking (here in Houston I believe you must book a spot for the tailgating when you buy your tickets), but most of us are a friendly bunch, especially if to people who show up on game day wearing a team shirt or hat (with the Cowboys logo, of course :-). I don't know if you can just walk into the tailgating area but if you can, I don't think anyone would mind if you approached and started a conversation about the game, especially when it becomes apparent that you have come such a long way to attend this game. One suggestion--if you have space in your baggage, perhaps pack a small amount of a UK snack food--biscuits, perhaps like Hob Nobs or even Jaffa Cakes (I used to live in the UK; McVities Digestive Biscuits can be obtained here but haven't seen HobNobs) or some other easily packed item. Offer to share with a group and they might just reciprocate.

Be aware that the NFL has just instituted new guidelines on the size of bags(handbags, purses, packs etc) that can be taken into stadiums. Do a google search to make sure you have something that complies--must be clear plastic and cannot exceed certain dimensions. It would be a shame for you to get to the gates and find out you must return to the car to leave belongings. Sorry I can't remember the dimensions--should be easy to find online.

Have fun at the game whether you tailgate or not.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
290 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking for Cowboys game/Tailgating etiquette.

Thanks for the replies, they have all helped immensely.

Will probably go and park at the shopping centre. I have to get some bedding in Bed, Bath and Beyond so that works out fine.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking for Cowboys game/Tailgating etiquette.

At the link abive, be sure to read the fine-print on the "free" shuttle from Lincoln Square.

For parking, you have to spend a combined minimum (food/merchandise) at Lincoln retailers, then clearly display receipts on dash to validate parking in their parking lit. I think there's a $10/pp charge for the shuttle itself.

It's still a good deal - just don't eat you to come up short! :)

Here are "the rules" for Cowboy stadium. …dallascowboys.com/guests/guestInfo.cfm

yorkshire
Level Contributor
290 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking for Cowboys game/Tailgating etiquette.

Is it easy to walk from Lincoln Square instead of taking the shuttle bus? Husband and myself did the stadium tour a couple of years ago and parked right outside the stadium so I do not know how close Lincoln Square is to it.

Are the new bag rules that draconian? I usually like to take a tiny shoulder bag about 6 x 7 inches but it does have a few zips in it for passports etc. I know if I take a zip lock bag I will leave it under my seat wit passports etc.

TX
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking for Cowboys game/Tailgating etiquette.

Lincoln Square is a 1/4-mile block from the stadium and about a 10-minute walk.

Yes, the new stadium bag rules are indeed that draconian. (I feel SO much safer knowing that women can't bring their handbags in. \sarcasm )

Westbrook, Maine
Level Contributor
660 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking for Cowboys game/Tailgating etiquette.

We're also headed to the our first Cowboys game in November vs. Minnesota. We're from Maine and I already got my clear bag - the NFL doesn't seem to have gotten the message out about the clear bags though. The dimensions for the bag are 12x6x12.

GO COWBOYS!

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking for Cowboys game/Tailgating etiquette.

Watching the pre-season Cowboy game this afternoon, the NFL ran a number of commercials addressing the topic of "bags" very specifically. Your best best would be to open your wallet and purchase one of THEIR clear bags. That way, you'd be sure to not "offend" the Purse-Police. Call it draconian as you will. I'll call it what it is - greedy NFL team owners looking for yet another way to screw their team fan base.

The commercial did say a small clutch would be allowed, but it could be no larger that one's hand. Really??? No measurements, just "a hand". Pretty subjective. Like I said: best best bet is to buy the "official NFL hand bag".