We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Halloween in Dallas

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Geelong
Level Contributor
3 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Halloween in Dallas

Hi

We are an Aussie family of 4 travelling to Dallas and arriving on October 31. Google hasn't been a lot of help so just wondering if there are any Halloween events in Dallas to attend on the 31st (or is everybody just out trick or treating??). We have 2 young kids (age 6 and 2) and are staying in the Addison area. Any tips would be great! Thanks :)

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,869 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Halloween in Dallas

As it gets more toward October, the Dallas Morning News will having listings of things that are going on. The problem is, with Halloween being a on Thursday this year, many of the events will be on the previous weekend. That said, malls sometimes offer safe trick or treating. You may also find "fall festival" type events, especially for churches, the first weekend in November. Keep watching this thread for more info as your trip gets closer.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,657 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Halloween in Dallas

Swiss Avenue in Dallas is a great place to see all that is Halloween. Residents decorate their yards. One family does a phantom of the opera skit throughout the night. It's fun. Crazy. Busy. And super crowded. It's something to see for sure.

For treat or treating, I like Lakewood Blvd and Avalon.

Both of these areas are near each other in Dallas but about 30 minutes from Addison.

Geelong
Level Contributor
3 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Halloween in Dallas

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like we might be trick or treating then! Just hope the kids can cope with that after 20 hours in transit :)

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Halloween in Dallas

It's a bit corny, but if you're staying in Addison and just arriving from Australia, you could just take the kids to the Magic Time Machine (www.magictimemachine.com) for dinner. They may have something special for Halloween in addition to their regular activities.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Halloween in Dallas

Munger Place is also a great place to Trick or Treat. Munger is just south of Swiss. The big difference between the two neighborhoods is the houses in Munger are much closer together, so you have more of a neighborhood sense. You might want to drive Swiss to see the decorations, then Trick or Treat in Munger. If you do, then park on one block and walk four or so blocks. The best blocks to Trick or Treat are the 4900-5100 Worth and Tremont. Munger residents have lots of porch parties with Trick or Treaters being the entertainment.

Note that the best place to get inexpensive costumes are Walmart, Target, or Party City, but the selection is going to be picked over.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
510 posts
1,635 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Halloween in Dallas

We were in Dallas last year for Halloween and found some people to go trick or treating with. It was such an amazing experience. I've never seen anything like it. Everyone was so friendly, the kids had great fun, everyone dressed up, it was a real community atmosphere.

If you get the opportunity i'd go trick or treating!

Geelong
Level Contributor
3 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Halloween in Dallas

Thanks everyone. Sounds like the streets of East Dallas are the place to be. Just did a google street view and the houses and tree lined streets look beautiful. I've got their costumes packed so we're ready to go! Hope the forecast of thunderstorms doesn't dampen our efforts :)

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,657 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Halloween in Dallas

I see a possibility for rain on Wednesday but nothing on Thursday. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. We're planning on going out in Lakewood.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,657 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Halloween in Dallas

I should add that you do not want to drive down Swiss if you want to see the spectacle. It gets jam packed with cars - crazy traffic on a normally quiet street. Try to park 2 blocks away and walk over.

Bryan Parkway is a great street too - it's parallel to Swiss. Great street to walk, but parking will be crazy. If I had to tell someone from out of town where to park, is say around Lipscomb Elementary and then cross Gaston at the crosswalk at Skillman...there is a stoplight here.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,657 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Halloween in Dallas

…advocatemag.com/2013/…