We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The "Ranch experience" in Texas!

Hannover, Germany
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The "Ranch experience" in Texas!

Hey everyone! :)

I´ll be in Dallas/Irving from the 15th of December to the 16th of January to visit my boyfriend.

I am from Germany and of course, like many Europeans in Texas I really would like to stay on a Ranch for a weekend! :D

We are both young and dont have that much money. I would be willing to spend about 250 dollars (hope that is even possible).

What I really wanted is a Trip via horse with camping, but I think my budged isnt big enough for this.

So, as you may guess it should be romantic and if possible not too touristy e.g. not too many people (i know we are tourists ourselves but still ;) ).

Short:

-Young couple

-Ranch and horse riding

-250 $ per person

-Nature experience

-Romantic

Thanks a lot!

Sarah

Segway Nation Dallas
City Tours, Segway Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals
Discover Dallas Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours
Dallas City Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Night Tours
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,667 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The "Ranch experience" in Texas!

One place to start would be www.duderanches.com. Click on the link for Texas and many choices will pop up. Lots of places are located near Bandera, Texas, which is in the region known as the Texas Hill Country. Have a look and see what's out there. We've stayed at the Mayan Dude Ranch several times over the years (not terribly recently, however) and have always been pleased.

This would be a little drive for you from the Dallas area--Hill Country is mostly west of Austin and San Antonio. Perhaps someone else will come along with some suggestions closer to Dallas.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,994 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The "Ranch experience" in Texas!

You might take a look at Wildcatter Ranch in Graham.

http://www.wildcatterranch.com/index.html

Hannover, Germany
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: The "Ranch experience" in Texas!

Thank you both!

Wow, a search engine just for ranches ;)

Wildcatter Ranch actually looks quiet nice and is only 2 hours drive from Irving. See what my guy says to that. :)

I hope he doesn´t fall from the horse, cause then it would be my fault. ;)

I already found quiet some stuff to do in Dallas via this homepage. I wonder if it is worth going over to Louisiana or up north to the bordering states? Or is it just the same only with a different state name?

I am grateful for every additional Inside tip anyone is willing to offer.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The "Ranch experience" in Texas!

If you decide against an overnight "adventure", but would still like to go for a horseback ride along a lakeside, Widowmaker Trail Rides is only 15 minutes from Irving's north side. Despite the rather unnerving name ;), they get excellent reviews. http://www.dallashorseback.com

Where ever you choose, wear long pants (jeans) to avoid chaffing from the saddle. Have fun!!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,709 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The "Ranch experience" in Texas!

"if it is worth going over to Louisiana" See New Orleans and area...completely different

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
283 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The "Ranch experience" in Texas!

Rough Creek Lodge is a beautiful place to stay, with great food. You can experience all sorts of outdoor activities there. Worth looking into. The price may appear high, but look at the details. Their prices usually include breakfast and a really nice dinner.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The "Ranch experience" in Texas!

Another dude ranch to check out near Dallas is Beaumont Ranch in Grandview south of Ft. Worth. Bandera has the largest selection of dude ranches. It will be the off season so the rates may compensate for the cost of fuel in getting down there from Dallas. San Antonio and Austin are interesting places you could see as well. About camping, the weather in most of Texas usually isn't warm enough to have a good camping experience.

Hannover, Germany
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: The "Ranch experience" in Texas!

Cool! There is quiet a lot of stuff to do in the area! Thanks everyone for the info! :D

Texas
Level Contributor
212 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The "Ranch experience" in Texas!

Regarding camping - If the weather is good, and it often is, you can do an overnight camp out in one of the state parks in the DFW area. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/. You would need camping equipment like tent and sleeping bags and there are many parks that have shelters. REI rents equipment. Check out Lake Ray Roberts, Cedar Hill State Park, The Vineyards in Grapevine (not a State Park and you can rent a cabin), Lake Lewisville parks. All are within 30 min to an hour from Irving.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The "Ranch experience" in Texas!

For your travel budget I'd say stick to one region and immerse yourselves. You'll get more bang for the buck & feel less stretched & stressed.

Texas, you have chosen well!

It is farther to cross into other states from Texas than one might think. Texas alone rivals the entire continent of Europe in size.

Besides, everything is bigger and better in Texas. (except, yes, the Misissippi River but the only reason that water doesn't go through Texas too is that when god created the land, it turned out Texas DIDN'T suck)