We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some questions

NY
Level Contributor
782 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Some questions

We are considering a trip to Dallas arriving on Thanksgiving and staying for 5 or 6 nights and have some questions.

1 - Below are the activities we are most interested in. How much time should be devote to each and which ones are close enough to each other that they can be done in the same day? Please also add anything you think is a must see.

Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Gardens

Sixth Floor Museum

George W Bush Presidential Museum and Library

Nasher Sculpture Center

Restaurant Row

West End

Hockey game if we can fit it in our schedule

2 - We will have a rental car. Are there any scenic or popular attractions within a short drive?

3 - What would be a good hotel location?

4 - What type of weather can we expect?

5 - Please offer any other suggestions you may have.

Thank you in advance.

travelus73

Edited: 21 October 2013, 03:33
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
514 posts
1,786 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some questions

wow - lots of questions !

Nasher Sculpture Centre and 6th floor museum are fairly close. You can also purchase a combined ticket for Nasher and the Dallas Museum, which is across the road. You could easily spend a day doing these 3 with a lunch/dinner in the area.

Also around that area is the Klyde Warren Park and the Aquarium, which may be of interest. The last time I was there I spent 2 leisurely days doing these 5 sights and wondering around the Downtown area.

The arboretum is a good 2-3 hours, if not longer! But it depends on how interested you are in plants and the weather. I've taken a picnic there before and spent a good few hours relaxing in the sun, eating and reading which was delightful.

BTW - In terms of what else you may be interested in and to help other people to assist, how many people in your party and rough ages?

NY
Level Contributor
782 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some questions

Hi Vanessacmc and thank you for your response.

There will be 2 in our party ages 50 and 54.

Thanks

travelus73

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
514 posts
1,786 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some questions

How about a day in Fort Worth? You could do the Stockyards and some of the art museums there? Easy drive from Dallas and very enjoyable

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some questions

Dallas' Arboretum is a 20-30 minutes east from Downtown. Along the edge of the small, urban Whiterock Lake, you can view Dallas' distant skyline. If the weather is comfortably warm (and it's not unheard of in November), consider a picnic lunch to enjoy.

With the exception of GW's Library, all other activities are in downtown Dallas. 6th Floor/Dealy Plaza are on the edge of West End. The Dallas Stars play at American Airline Center (AAC) - I understand it is walkable from West End.

The Nasher is in Downtown's Arts District. Home to several outstanding museums, it's a short walk from DART's light rail, 2 stops from West End's station. The afore-mentioned Klyde Warren Park (a newly opened urban park - food trucks) is in the same area.

From the Arts District, you can hop the vintage McKinney Ave Trolley (MATA) to ride through Uptown, terminating at West Village (shops/restaurants/indie theater). You're free to off/on along the way.

From Downtown, it's an easy, 10 minute drive north to the GW Library on SMU's campus. One caveat - timing will be greatly skewed during rush hour! Dallas' oldest and most distinguished NorthPark Center is a few more minutes north. Both are accessible via DART light rail (2 separate stops) and a short shuttle across Central. Both border Park Cities - there are some stunningly beautiful old homes/estates to view if you drive the neighborhoods along Turtle Creek (beginning south and a little west of SMU)

Lastly, the beautiful Botantical Gardens in Fort Worth (30-45 minutes west) neighbor the city's Museum District. I don't think your were referring to it above, but in the event you were..... :) if you end up with time on your hands, FW is a whole 'nuther world, a short/easy drive from Dallas. Beside it's wonderful museums and gardens (includes the Japanese Gardens), there's the Historic Stockyards and downtown's Sundance Square for entertainment and dining.

Overall, I don't think you'll come up short on filling your agenda!

(There are wonderful restaurants - varying price points and venues - throughout the metroplex!)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some questions

Ha! Indeed a host of questions, but all good ones!

This is TWO places, the Dallas Arboretum and the Ft. Worth Botanical Gardens.

Should you visit them both take Vanessacmc's recommendation to also visit the Stockyards while in Ft Worth.

Hard to not visit Sixth Floor Museum, a special set of attractions and a few renovations and special attention has been given to this landmark for the 50th anniversary.

If staying in the Downtown Dallas area the Bush Library is withing walking distance of the Mockingbird Rd Station of the train system. It will probably be temperate weather compared to NY.

There are now several "Restaurant Rows" I like Lower Greenville Av, Mckinney Av. and there are others, just be sure to do some Mexican. With a car you could ask the Spanish speaking hotel maid where the Mexicans eat & have an off-the-beaten-path culinary adventure!

The Dallas West End has also changed over time, I now like the House of Blues. And Dick's Last Resort we pretend to insult each other like they do in New York, this you might find entertaining too, food & beer selections good too!

For a scenic drive go South on 45 or South East on 175 and take ANY Farm to Market road into the fields, hills and pastures. The other directions have too much urban sprawl to make it a short enough drive. (I like FM 85 east from Ennis TX myself, but once you are 10 or 20 min outside the loop 635 on either of those 2 highways any 2 lane country road will likely be a pleasant cruise.)

I like the Omni Dallas, but it is expensive. I have several reviews on my 3 favorite places to stay, low, mid & high priced. Just click on my Icon & then on the review Title to read. Thanks in advance if you click a Helpful vote!

Now, if you are into the JFK thing, the Omni in Downtown Ft. Worth is the restored hotel in which JFK spent his last night and ate his last meal! A well placed tip at the desk might even get you into the same room.

Edited: 22 October 2013, 02:23
Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,965 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some questions

I think Flembrimstone meant to say the Fort Worth Hilton is the last place JFK stayed, not the FW Omni.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some questions

FYI- free trolley in Uptown is currently closed. They are redoing the route to have more stops or something like that.

Thanksgiving time is usually chilly. But then again, this is Dallas. So dont be surprised if you see cool weather. If you have a good budget for a hotel, Fairmont Hotel in downtown would be a good location, as you can walk to the Arts District, Klyde Warren Park, Winspear Opera House, etc.

Klyde Warren Park- self paced picnic fun place to be (closes at 11pm daily)

Ross Perot Museum- you will spend a good 3 hours here (purchase tickets in advance, as it is always sold out on weekends at the door)

Aboretum- They have lots of pumpkin decorations right now, and weekends are extremely busy. Arrive early in the morning to avoid parking issues. I dont enjoy visiting the arboretum in the fall as I do in the spring. Parking, entrance fees just to see some pumpkins... ehhh!

George Bush Museum- I spent a good 3 hours here. Especially if you want to watch the short films and read up on everything.

Dont forget to try out some steak houses in Dallas! Houstons in Addison or Del Friscos is really good. And I love Saltgrass steak house, not as fancy, but love love their food.

Enjoy!!

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some questions

As of Oct 14, the trolley's schedule resumed between the Arts District and West Village (City Place DART station). http://mata.org

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some questions

Oh wow, thats awesome news Karin. Thanks for sharing! I was pretty bummed when they stopped it for a bit.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some questions

Yes,

Thanks Poodle One.

Have Omni on the brain my recent trip there was so good!

Get answers to your questions about Dallas