We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel central for tournaments in Watauga, Garland, Ft Worth

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel central for tournaments in Watauga, Garland, Ft Worth

Hello,

I will be travelling with two teenagers over the Christmas break who will be participating in tournaments in the following locations: Watauga, Garland, Ft Worth, Coppell, Wylie, Denton, Coppell, Plano

We will have a rental car and will attending a different tournament every day in the above cities/towns, over 10 days. As well, we would like to visit Dallas.

Can anyone please recommend an area for a hotel (or recommend a specific hotel) that we could use as a base while attending these tournaments. Ideally, the hotel would have a kitchen and be sufficiently large for three people, as we would like to stay in one hotel for the 10 days if possible. Cost is less important than having a comfortable, quiet stay that is also relatively convenient to the tournament locations. I have google mapped and searched on various hotels but I still don't have a good sense of the best area or hotels to consider so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel central for tournaments in Watauga, Garland, Ft Worth

First let me say- OMG, what a crazy, random group of sites- you are very brave :-)

That said, the first place that comes to mind is Las Colinas/Irving/Grapevine area. Had friends stay at the Embassy Suites Dallas-DFW Airport North last week (yes, that is Grapevine) and loved it. Closeby- still in Grapevine, there is Homewood Suites, Holiday Inn Express and Suites, Comfort Suites, Springhill Suites , Hyatt Place- all clustered around the Grapevine Mills outlet mall.

Farther down Hwy 114, in Las Colinas, there is Hyatt Place, Homewood Suites, Comfort Suites, Springhill Suites, Hilton Garden Inn, HIE and Suites.

These would all be good areas both for distance and (relatively speaking- it is DFW afterall) ease of access.

Edited: 30 November 2013, 07:03
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel central for tournaments in Watauga, Garland, Ft Worth

Wowza!!! Point to point, the two most far apart venues are Fort Worth and Wylie. Mapquest shows 58 miles. So poodle gives sage advice for the Grapevine location which is relatively mid-point.

Grapevine is adjacent to DFW Int'l Airport and during weekends/non-rush hour, you'd be only 30 minutes from various destination points in Dallas - 40 minutes to Fort Worth.

You might find some packages/rate incentives here: grapevinetexasusa.com/where-to-stay/…

Texas
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel central for tournaments in Watauga, Garland, Ft Worth

I agree with the suggestion of Grapevine. There is a Homewood Suites and a Residence Inn located there, both with full kitchens.

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

https:/…

There is also a Homewood Suites near the Vista Ridge Mall. It may be even slightly better in terms of being central, and it will likely be less expensive than staying in Grapevine. …hilton.com/en/…index.html

In case it matters to the teenagers, the only one of the above hotels that has an indoor pool is the Homewood Suites in Grapevine.

Also worth mentioning, I wouldn't want to try to avoid toll roads on some of those days. Any tolls you pay will be worth the time and headache saved.

P.S. I'm curious, what kind of tournament has you running all over the metroplex like that? Yikes!

Edited: 30 November 2013, 15:30
Texas
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel central for tournaments in Watauga, Garland, Ft Worth

I was looking on the website link I posted for the Homewood Suites in Lewisville near Vista Ridge Mall and found that they have 2 bedroom/2 bath suites. One bedroom has a king and the other has 2 queens. It's $30 less per night than the Grapevine Homewood Suites 2 bedroom suite, which has only 1 queen in each bedroom. That's a good deal.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,449 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel central for tournaments in Watauga, Garland, Ft Worth

I'll just add something that j'smom mentioned. Tollroads. You will save yourself a lot of time and hassle of traffic on 635 if you use the 190 Bush Tollroad. Be sure your rental car comes with a toll tag or is available as an add-on. You might even choose a hotel off 190 Bush Tollroad.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel central for tournaments in Watauga, Garland, Ft Worth

Thank you all so very much for your advice. Your advice is exactly what I needed so thank you for your help.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,861 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel central for tournaments in Watauga, Garland, Ft Worth

i agree with the grapevine/dfw airport area. the hwy 114 corridor gives you a link to both interstate 35's (east and west). hwy 635 and 121. plus you have grapevine mills mall, movie theaters.lots of restaurants. you can even run over to southlake for the southlake town center.

Texas
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel central for tournaments in Watauga, Garland, Ft Worth

You're welcome cvqgirl. We'd love to hear how it works out for you.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel central for tournaments in Watauga, Garland, Ft Worth

A belated 'thank you' for all of your hotel advice. Staying in Grapevine worked perfectly as a home-base for traveling to the different tournaments. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and I can't say enough about the friendliness of Texans! We will return again!

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel central for tournaments in Watauga, Garland, Ft Worth

So happy to hear your stay was successful!! I hope your "team" did equally well in their competition! :)

Get answers to your questions about Dallas