We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dallas for 24 hours....have a car, where to stay?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Dallas for 24 hours....have a car, where to stay?

We arrive just before noon on the 27th of December, leave at noon the 28th. ( need to be at airport around 8am to drop car ). Flight leaves at 11:30am.

I have asked for advice before & appreciated all tips, we are currently booked at the Grand Hyatt DFW. But, since hubby decided to rent a car hotel options have opened up. I know we only have an afternoon and evening, but thought we could try and make the most of it....Stoneleigh? Warwick? Adolphus? My husband is going to take my son to the Friendly Skatepark( avid skateboarder ), so my teen daughter & I would stroll around, window shop, etc...

Any input? different hotel/ area ideas?

Dallas
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dallas for 24 hours....have a car, where to stay?

Where is this skate park? Do you mean Lively Skate Park in Irving? The weather is likely to be cold next week, so you might be most comfortable staying at the Westin Galleria and wandering around the mall (indoors). But if you want to do museums, etc., then one of the downtown hotels.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dallas for 24 hours....have a car, where to stay?

Yes!!! lol...I did mean Lively...( how I got "friendly" I have no clue...).

Ok, I'll check temps, because we will not have a lot of warm clothing. And I will also peek at the Westin, thank you!

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dallas for 24 hours....have a car, where to stay?

If you stay downtown, you and your daughter will want to visit Neiman Marcus for exclusive shopping with lunch at the Zodiac (limited lunch hours). Otherwise, there's the JFK museum and Dealy Plaza in West End; the Arts District - the Perot Museum is really wowing all ages; Klyde Warren Park (food trucks); the small, recently opened Kelly and Norman Green (outdoor) Skating Rink (synthetic ice); and Dallas World Aquarium. If you take the McKinney Av Trolley, you can ride through uptown to West Village for more shopping or eating options. North Park Mall is about 10-15 minutes north of downtown and is "the" premier shopping center/mall of the metroplex. There are many wonderful restaurants in and around the immediate area. You can google any of the noted locations for more information. (All but JFK and Northpark are within a reasonable walk from each other.)

As an alternative - Grapevine neighbors DFW airport to the north. There are a cluster of brand hotels across the street from Grapevine Mills Mall and Bass Pro Shops - Homewood Suites, and Suites, Comfort Suites, Springhill Suites , Hyatt Place. Your son could ice skate at Polar Ice House within the mall. About a mile away are The Great Wolf Lodge and Gaylord Texan resort hotels. Yet another mile is Grapevine Main Street which is currently decked out for Christmas with local shop/restaurant owners really putting on a beautiful display. With the forecast showing sunny and mid-50's/upper 30s while you're here, it is a wonderful street to stroll and window shop. Dallas is a 20-30 minute drive east and Fort Worth is 30-40 minutes west.

http://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/

I hope this helps with your planning.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,418 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dallas for 24 hours....have a car, where to stay?

Its awesome, Thank you :)

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dallas for 24 hours....have a car, where to stay?

Along with the Adolphus, include the Magnolia, the Indigo and the Fairmont in your downtown research. I'll add that drive times I noted above, I should have stated "during non-rush hour".

6. Re: Dallas for 24 hours....have a car, where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2014, 05:18