We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lady alone during the week day

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Lady alone during the week day

Husband has business in Dallas 3rd week of January. I will be exploring the city alone during the day. What are fun places to go to be amused other than shopping? I've also heard the city is very dressy compared to Midwest. True? I enjoy contemporary art and also love walking around if weather permits.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
The Immediate Resources
Gift & Speciality Shops
Pinto Ranch Fine Western Wear
Gift & Speciality Shops
Griffin Trading Company
Art Galleries, Antique Stores, Gift & Speciality Shops
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,811 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lady alone during the week day

Will you have a car for your sightseeing or use light rail etc? Also, if you won't have a car are you staying downtown?

Thanks, this helps us give you some great responses.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lady alone during the week day

I will be staying in Irving and will have access to a car. I'm happy to use public transportation if it's easier than trying to park. II've never been to Dallas, but have lived and traveled far and wide and want to have fun and be safe, too. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Irving
Irving
Texas
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
103 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lady alone during the week day

There's no need to be any dressier than you're comfortable being. I go around in jeans most of the time, as do a lot of other people. I get dressed up when I'm going to the opera or something like that, but I see people dressed casually at those times as well. If you want to go somewhere fancy for dinner, you'd probably want to dress up a little, but no more so than for a similar type of restaurant anywhere else.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lady alone during the week day

Depending on what side of Irving you are staying on, definitely look at taking the DART light rail (north side) from Irving to Dallas or TRE -Trinity Railway Express (south side). Both will take you to downtown. Then you can walk around and check out architecture as well as some great art at the Dallas Museum of Art, Nasher Sculpture Center and the Crow Collection of Asian Art. The Klyde Warren Deck Park is a fun place to go and riding the McKinney Avenue Trolley is a good way to check out Uptown.

www.dart.org

www.trinityrailwayexpress.org

www.dallasmuseumofart.org

www.nashersculpturecenter.org

www.crowcollection.org

www.klydewarrenpark.org

www.mata.org

Mentioned in this post
Irving
Irving
Texas
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Dallas Museum of Art
Dallas Museum of Art
1,734 Reviews
Dallas, TX
Nasher Sculpture Center
Nasher Sculpture Center
765 Reviews
Dallas, TX
Crow Collection of Asian Art
Crow Collection of Asian...
206 Reviews
Dallas, TX
Klyde Warren Park
Klyde Warren Park
1,766 Reviews
Dallas, TX
McKinney Avenue Trolley
McKinney Avenue Trolley
317 Reviews
Dallas, TX
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
56 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lady alone during the week day

This is not to be flippant but my favorite place in Dallas is the Ikea. The neighborhood nearby is nice. Its not the arts or culture but its a good way to let time pass by. I visit each time I am in Dallas.

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,186 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lady alone during the week day

See if CADD has something going on during your stay. They do bus tours to contemporary art galleries.

http://www.caddallas.net/wp/bus-tours/

You could also toodle around the Design District galleries.

http://www.dallasdesigndistrict.com/art/

In Irving, there is an art center.

Mentioned in this post
Irving
Irving
Texas
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lady alone during the week day

If your visit involves more than one day, I would encourage you to enjoy time exploring Grapevine's Main Street. Only a 10 minute drive west of Irving on Hwy 114, Grapevine offers 6-8 blocks filled with boutique and curio shops, restaurants, wine tasting rooms, unique art studio and galleries....... The following link offers more information. www.grapevinetexasusa.com/things-to-do/

Arriving from a city distinctly renowned for their chili, you might want to give our Texas "blend" a try at Tolbert's on Main - you choose the heat level, beans or no. If not up for chili, Into the Glass has an enjoyable menu, from tapas to sandwiches to "bigger food". Vetro Glass Studio and Gallery is next to the train depot. Besides seeing beautiful works in glass, you can visit the studio to watch the glass blowers create their art. If it's a cool day, the studio also offers some welcome heat! ;)

Not to miss: HipPop, behind 7-11, makes a delicious cup of hot, drinking chocolate (Dude Sweet) - richly warm and decadent.

Enjoy your visit!

Mentioned in this post
Irving
Irving
Texas
Texas
Texas
United States
Tolbert's
Tolbert's
328 Reviews
Grapevine, TX
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lady alone during the week day

Great ideas---thank you!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lady alone during the week day

I will check into CADD. Thank you!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lady alone during the week day

I love the glass gallery idea---that's right up my alley! If there's a decent bagel to be found, I'm fine for lunch. Try Cincinnati chili if you ever make it up this way. My family loves it.... Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post