We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip - 1 nt stop on Saturday in Dallas

SAN DIEGO
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip - 1 nt stop on Saturday in Dallas

Hi folks. We are moving our post college daughter from calif to Arkansas and expect to get to Dallas around 6 on Sat night. We've never been there. Any suggestions for a fun location to stay so we can both enjoy an evening in Texas?

ARLINGTON, TX
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip - 1 nt stop on Saturday in Dallas

Fort Worth Stockyards

http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/

Edited: 05 January 2014, 23:39
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip - 1 nt stop on Saturday in Dallas

I second the Stockyards, just north of downtown FW off I-35W. Also look at Sundance Square in downtown FW. It's an easy walk around area for hotel options, dining and entertainment. http://www.sundancesquare.com

Dallas is more spread out, but Uptown/West Village would be the best walk around area - mostly shopping and eats, though you have to find a hotel in a different area.

I definitely would opt for either of the FW choices in order to park your car, then walk, play, eat and sleep with no driving worries.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,890 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip - 1 nt stop on Saturday in Dallas

If Fort Worth doesn't work for you and you are wanting to already be in Dallas so you can hit the highway early on Sunday, check out downtown Dallas. There are lots of good hotels close to restaurants/bars, including Reunion tower, but the drawback is parking fees. Even though several of the large hotels have self parking for a fee (Omni, Hyatt, Sheraton), you are almost better off paying a little more for valet. Just a heads up.

About the only free parking type hotels close to downtown or Uptown are the ones in the Medical/Marketplace area along I-35E or a few such as Best Western and La Quinta on Central-75.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,798 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip - 1 nt stop on Saturday in Dallas

I'm going to assume y'all are heading to Hendrix. Try to stay along I-30 - it'll probably be most direct from where you are coming from and going to - look at The Belmont Hotel. Nearby is Bishop Arts District for great restaurants. And then a smidge away is Chicken Scratch or Bolsa Mercado.

Texas
Level Contributor
505 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip - 1 nt stop on Saturday in Dallas

Agree with everyone else, I would choose the stockyards in Fort Worth. If you just gotta go to Dallas the Belmont is unique. It has a nice view of downtown and Smoke restaurant is across the street.

Edited: 06 January 2014, 17:29
SAN DIEGO
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road trip - 1 nt stop on Saturday in Dallas

Thank you all so much! Ft Worth Stockyards it is, but after looking at all your suggestions, we have something to look forward to on a future, more leisurely, trip. Texas looks like a lot of fun.

7. Re: Road trip - 1 nt stop on Saturday in Dallas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 06:23