We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Student internship

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit
Level Contributor
5 posts
396 reviews
Save Topic
Student internship

Posted in North Dallas for 3 month student internship. Need to find economical, safe accommodations. Internship is ongoing over 2 years alternating semesters.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Student internship

Please identify a little more information on location as "North Dallas" is pretty generic and covers a vast area. If south of I-635, that is still Dallas proper. If north of 635, you should be able to identify a suburb - one of 8, 9....

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Student internship

Also, check with the company to see if they have suggestions for apartments which have been used in the past.

Detroit
Level Contributor
5 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Student internship

Galleria , zip 75287 , north Dallas Parkway area

Tough as unfamiliar with Dallas

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Student internship

Zip code 75287 is quite a ways from the Galleria Mall if that is what you are referring to (zip 75240). Will you have a car and able to drive to work? If so, you might want to give a little more info on what kind of area would appeal to you when you are not at work. Defining "economical" would also be very helpful.

There are certainly apartment complexes that would offer a 3 month lease or month-to-month rental.

Edited: 15 January 2014, 14:35
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Student internship

In the Galleria area, there is a range of hotels from the older, less expensive to the quite expensive. Unfortunately, the area is not in one serviced by DART light rail. If you are to rely on public transportation, it would be DART's bus system.

A little further north, in the 75287 zip code, you'll find higher priced apartments for the most part, though there may be a deal to be found. Also, if you worked in one and lived in the other, you'd probably want to take the North Dallas Tollway which would be another expense. I'm not sure if DART runs busses that far north. Much to consider.

You probably would be better served requesting information from a property management web-site/message board, but sorry, I have no links to offer.

Detroit
Level Contributor
5 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Student internship

No transportation and this is just a student internship so cost is important

How does one find an apartment in area when "looking" while in home state of Michigan ?

Do I go through a realtor?

So far all information shared has been most helpful.

When I put in the zip code Galleria keeps popping up .

And is there a transit system?

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Student internship

Guess you didn't read my post.

Detroit
Level Contributor
5 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Student internship

Yes read it but it kinda came after mine...timing

thanks for the help

i am getting a very good picture of the area now

Coming from the Detroit suburbs, transit system is all foreign to us as well as Toll roads

we seem to have some long term hotels in area.

From this area, am I to understand that the transit system would take us downtown to see attractions on weekends?

I must research a transit pass as well....

also , what are the 'must see' attractions during our year and a half , 3 months on and 3 months school assignments?

What does Dallas have to offer over JULY 4th celebration?

Again thanks , sorry our posts are crossing each other....

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Student internship

I'd first suggest going to both the Dallas and Fort Worth forums and browse existing topics - your "what to do" question arises continually. You'll find a lot of information there that will answer some of your questions and assist in forming new questions in a newly opened topic.

DART is Dallas' public transportation system - http://www.dart.org

Trinity Rail Express (TRE) connects Dallas and Fort Worth, downtown to downtown - NO Sunday service - www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/index.html

The-T is FW's public bus system - http://www.the-t.com

A couple of other helpful sites:

http://www.visitdallas.com/things-to-do/

www.fortworth.com/things-to-do/…

For extended stay hotels near the area you noted, Google search: extended stay hotels addison

I really advise you check with the interning company and inquire where prior interns resided. The company should have an abundance of information on much of what you're asking, including transportation, entertainment, etc. At the very least, you need a clear understanding of your exact future location.

Edited: 15 January 2014, 19:34
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
373 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Student internship

Hello! I live near downtown Dallas, but work up in 75287. If you're looking at the bus system, DART buses do operate up here. I have never ridden on a DART bus, so cannot give any description on timing, promptness, etc. Dallas's public transportation is not all that great compared to other cities. The best way to get around is still by car. I just did a quick search on the DART website, and it looks like taking the buses between my office and my house would take over one and a half hours (not during rush hour). I can make the drive by car in around 30 minutes (or less, depending on traffic).

Also, there are a number of apartment complexes in the area at a range of prices. Just be careful, as some have a bit more crime than others. I have never used an apartment locating service before, but I am looking out my office window at a place called iApartments right now, which does free searches and moves.