We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area for my trip

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
157 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
Best area for my trip

Hi fellow travelers - I am considering staying in the Galleria area - but open to any area in Dallas. We will be visiting the new Bush library at SMU, the National Scouting museum, the new Perot Science Museum and going to Forney, TX for paintballing (can you tell we have teen boys!). Which area would you stay in? I'd like a 4 star hotel in a clean, safe, pedestrian friendly area. Not next to a freeway or the airport. No bars or nightlife needed. And we will have a car. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
National Scouting Museum
National Scouting Museum
140 Reviews
Irving, TX
Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,219 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area for my trip

The Fairmont is more centrally located in a more walkable area. You can walk to Perot Museum. The Fairmont straddles downtown and the Arts District.

Mentioned in this post
Fairmont Dallas
Fairmont Dallas
2,283 Reviews
Dallas, TX
Dallas Arts District
Dallas Arts District
171 Reviews
Dallas, TX
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
374 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area for my trip

The Galleria seems a bit north for what you are looking to do. Maybe take a look at the Downtown, Uptown, and Mockingbird Station areas.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
157 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area for my trip

Thanks for the replies. Would you happen to know of any other concerns I might need to be aware of - large conventions in town or road construction on certain freeways.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
14,219 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area for my trip

If there are large conventions, you'll notice high hotel rates at centrally located hotels...as well as unavailabilty. You can always check the convention center schedule, etc.

I can't think of any hwy construction. Maybe out in the burbs - 114 was bad not long ago.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area for my trip

The only highway construction that I know of right now is the north exit and the area right around the north side of DFW. If you are renting a car at DFW, you would use the south entrance to return to the airport and follow the signs to the rental car facility. However, if you're driving to Dallas in your own car, there is no reason this construction should be an issue.

Note that 635 is prone to horrific traffic at all times, not just in construction zones, and there are a few around the Galleria area.

http://here.com/traffic/usa/dallas-tx

Edited: 07 March 2014, 18:51
Mentioned in this post
6. Re: Best area for my trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 05:18