We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DFW hotel suggestion

Mitcham, Australia
Level Contributor
221 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
DFW hotel suggestion

My plan is to enjoy Christmas in Dallas meeting up with my daughter who will be in the USA at the same time. We will arrive separately; in my case off the long flight direct from Sydney (Australia) to Dallas. Mt daughter will probably arrive from San Francisco. We've booked a downtown hotel for five days. We are planning to use public transport for the five days we will be based in the downtown area.

There will be three of us leaving downtown Dallas on departure day; my daughter will head for the airport to catch her flight (probably to San Francisco) and my friend and I will aim to pick up a pre-booked rental car for our two week road trip of Texas.

I understand the DART will be operating to the airport by December 2014 but presumably there will be restrictions on airline passengers carrying luggage? What are the other options?

So my question is how should we aim to get to the airport (for my daughter) and to pick up the rental car? It would be a Sunday.

On my return from our two week road trip, I want to return the rental car late one afternoon (Tuesday), book into a motel close to the airport and be ready to catch an international flight the following morning.

I hope this all makes sense and look forward to any assistance from members of the Trip Advisor community.

Paul in Australia

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
115 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DFW hotel suggestion

Five days in Dallas relying on public transport is a long time Not that it can't be done, but it will really limit you on what you can do. What are some of the things you are hoping to see and do?

As for the trip to the airport and where to stay. The two hotels in the airport are nice (a little pricy for some folks). There are several in the mid cities area Irving and Grapevine which are fairly close and offer shuttle to and from the airport. The Marriott line has several that I know of and the prices vary.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DFW hotel suggestion

I'm curious where you've seen/read about DART restrictions concerning baggage. There are none currently and not sure why there would be any in the future. It wouldn't make much sense ????? But, You might want to email DART (see link below) to verify. ok...... I just called DART, and the rep I talked with said "NO restrictions on number of bags".

Anyway, if the new station at the airport has not yet opened, your daughter can take an easy shuttle (route 500) from DFW Airport Terminal A to DART's Orange Line Belt Line Station. This will take her directly into downtown. http://www.dart.org/riding/dfwairport.asp

With reference to you and your friend's overnight prior to DFW departure - Grapevine would be the answer, hands down. With a variety of most all brand hotels to choose, most, if not all offer complementary shuttle to/from the airport (if not middle of the night) An added enjoyment is their historic downtown Main Street remains decorated in an old fashioned Christmas fashion.

http://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/

grapevinetexasusa.com/festivals-events/…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DFW hotel suggestion

I agree with KarinLB about hotels in Grapevine. Grapevine is probably less than 10 miles from the airport. There are upscale hotels with resorts (Wilderness Lodge) down to some budget hotels.

You can, and I have, carried suitcases onto DART to travel the Red Line to downtown. No problems. From what I've heard and seen, DART will arrive into Terminal A.

BTW, petrol (gas) prices in Dallas will come as a shock. You KNOW what the rates are in Australia. That is for a liter. Do a google conversion to take liters to US gallons (NOT Imperial gallons!). You will have a very very pleasant surprise.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DFW hotel suggestion

Clarifications: Grapevine is adjacent to DFW Airport, actually, a portion of the airport is on Grapevine city property. From the mentioned hotels, it's a 5 minute drive. The DART line to/from the airport (or Belt Line Station in the interim) is the Orange Line, not the Red Line.

5. Re: DFW hotel suggestion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 May 2015, 05:16