We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tolls on rental cars - some queries...Thx

Mumbai
Level Contributor
1,382 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Tolls on rental cars - some queries...Thx

Hi

I arrive in Dallas on August 15 th and have booked a rental car from 16 th to my date of departure - which is 27 th. I will pick up the car on the 16 th morning.

During my stay I will be driving within Dallas as well as trips to Plano and McKinney. Also, we plan to make a 5 day round trip to Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Galveston and back to Dallas.

I read somewhere about tolls - and that on many toll roads cash is not accepted. And some stories about rental firms slapping large fines after the car has been returned.

Can somebody advise on this??? Thx

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tolls on rental cars - some queries...Thx

RE: DFW and suburbs. Since you specifically mentioned Plano and McKinney, I'd suggest accepting the toll tag offered with the car at time of rental. Two of the three main toll roads pass through those two cities, so you're highly likely to have need for ***one or the other, if not both.

While the rental toll tag is fee-based to the rental agencies advantage, it's not as expensive as denying the toll tag, then happening onto one of the toll roads - that is when you will be slapped with a "fine".

Plano - George Bush Tollway (PBGT), aka Hwy 190

McKinney - Sam Rayburn Tollway, aka Hwy 121 (***direct to/from DFW Airport)

I'm not sure how the "rental" tags work from one TX region to another. If it's a "TxTag", you should be covered throughout TX. http://www.txtag.org/toll_roads_in_texas.php

(Remaining on I-35 between Austin and San Antonio is not a toll, however, the new "super-tollway" (speed limit 85mph), State Hwy 130 is toll-activated)

2. Re: Tolls on rental cars - some queries...Thx

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 07:25