We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in Dallas/Fort Worth

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southend-on-Sea...
3 posts
Save Topic
5 days in Dallas/Fort Worth

Hello,

Just to introduce myself, I am a 24 year old guy from just outside of London who is going to travel solo across America this summer and looking for some help. My interests are mainly sport, music and film. I am looking to go to any sporting events, visit stadiums, visit landmarks/monuments, tours, try new food, experience anything “American” etc.

A bit more about my trip, I have planned out most of my trip and I will be using Amtrak trains to travel between each location. I am looking to stay in hostels that will cost approximately $50/£30 a night. After paying for travel, accommodation, pre booking some events etc. I am looking to spend $100/£60 for food and activities. I don’t drive so public transport is my main way of getting around.

At the moment I am looking to be in Dallas/Fort worth from Tuesday 2nd September to Saturday 6th September and have a few questions about the area that would be great if anyone could help me with.

One thing I am unsure about is how easy it is to go between Fort Worth and Dallas? The Amtrak train stops in both places, (I will be coming from Austin so Forth worth is before Dallas on the train line) am I best off staying in Fort Worth for one or two nights then moving on? Or is it possible to stay in Dallas and visit Fort Worth?

I want to visit Fort Worth to get the real cow town experience, how long/where is best for this? I wanted to go the stockyards rodeo but this only seems to be on Friday and Saturday nights, is this right? Is it possible to get to the rodeo and back from Dallas? If not, what is the best way to see a rodeo and get the cowboy experience?

Finally, in Dallas I want to see the normal touristy attractions, Kennedy plaza, sixth floor museum and anything else that is recommended. From my research online I can’t seem to find any hostels in Dallas, is this right? If not, where is the best place to stay on a budget to still see all the attractions? I also understand Dallas is a spread out city but using the DART system is it easy enough to get around?

As I said at the beginning, any help or advice anybody can provide however big or small is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

TX
Level Contributor
5,621 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in Dallas/Fort Worth

Hi Craig - Sounds as though you've got an exciting visit to Texas planned!

Couple of suggestions: First, you might want to cross-post to the Fort Worth forum if you haven't already done so, as you may pick up a few more responses there. Second, when describing your budget, I'll ask you to do what those on the England forums ask us Americans to do: Speak in terms of our currency, not your own. Having recently returned from my annual visit to your lovely country, I do know at the current exchange rate, you're looking roughly to spend $50-$85 per night on accommodations, and $50 to $170 per day on meals and activities. I would say this is achievable.

I would suggest that you stay in or very near downtown Fort Worth, instead of Dallas. Downtown Fort Worth has a more lively nightlife that would probably suit you better, and it's extremely walkable. I don't know of any hostels in this area, but I'm sure you could find a room at a basic hotel. The Fort Worth Park Central hotel (towards the south end of downtown) comes to mind, and I do see a room priced at $85 per night on Expedia.

http://www.parkcentralhotel.com/

It won't be posh, but will put you in a good location to walk to all of the restaurants, bars, shops (including the fun in Sundance Square and the new plaza) downtown.

http://www.sundancesquare.com/

Here is a link to the Fort Worth Transportation Authority's website, which will provide bus and rail service info:

the-t.com/MapsSchedules/…Default.aspx

As you enjoy sports, you might like to see an American baseball game, and it's always exciting to go to The Ballpark in Arlington to watch the Texas Rangers play! The Rangers will be playing Seattle during your stay, so you might look into getting tickets (although I'm not able to be much help about transportation to/from the stadium, unfortunately).

texas.rangers.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=tex

Here is the link for the Fort Worth Stockyards:

http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/

Even if there isn't a rodeo going on while you're here, you'll still enjoy walking around the stockyards and taking in the western ambience. I would think a few hours here, including a meal and/or drinks, would suffice.

Don't forget to indulge in some of our famous Tex Mex food while here! There are some excellent restaurants on the northside of Fort Worth, and often those that resemble holes-in-the-wall are the best! El Asadero is a favorite of ours. And while I'm not a particular fan of the food at Joe T. Garcia's, you would very likely enjoy having a drink on their beautiful patio on a sunny September afternoon. (Their margaritas are really good.)

Hope this helps a bit. As you can see, I haven't given you any info on Dallas - but because I live in Fort Worth, I've shared what I know and love. All the best in your planning!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,065 posts
5,331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in Dallas/Fort Worth

If you enjoy viewing art collections, the DMA (Dallas Art Museum) is a pretty good attraction (see link).

http://www.dma.org/

Arlington, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in Dallas/Fort Worth

There is a place in Dallas called the Abby Guest House that is geared more toward travelers. It is relatively close to the main attractions in Dallas.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g55711-d2166340…

Not sure what type of films you like, but you could check out the Angelika Theatre in Dallas. It usually shows "art house" type films.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g55711-d2406…

Bajablonde is right about the margaritas at Joe T. Garcia's. They are good!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,463 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in Dallas/Fort Worth

AnimeFest might be going on during your visit. It's free to walk around and look at everyone in costumes.

For lodging, look at Airbnb. Often times you can find a room to rent in someone's house or apartment.

Southend-on-Sea...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in Dallas/Fort Worth

Bajablonde, thank you for your reply and so much information about Fort Worth! I will defiantly look into the accommodation you mentioned and the details about the stockyards and tex mex is great.

BradJill , thanks! will look into that

sevinx, The Abby Guest House is an interesting recommendation but is slightly too expensive and not quite what I am after but thanks and I will check out the Angelika Theatre.

pepper, I had thought about Airbnb but had never used it before and was a little nervous about staying in someone else's home! have you used it before? any recommendations?

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

If anybody else can answer questions from my initial post or more general information about Dallas/Fort Worth then it would be great to hear it.

Thanks.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,463 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days in Dallas/Fort Worth

I just used Airbnb for the first time in New Orleans but we had a small house to ourselves; not renting a room in someone's home.

I have a friend who wants to set up a room in his house to rent on Airbnb. Personally, I think it would be awkward as often times you are sharing a bathroom, kitchen, etc. But you are looking for a hostel/budget situation and I am not aware of anything like that in Dallas.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,463 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days in Dallas/Fort Worth

I just did a little looking and found this place: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2650799…

It close to the Dart train. In the daytime, you could walk. But...be aware this area is in transition and you will see homeless folks if you walk a distance from the townhomes. I visit a friend nearby and am fine walking a few blocks in either direction (Southside on Lamar), but you need to be aware that this area is not pristine. The police headquarters is located nearby too. There is a good bar nearby called Lee Harvey's.

8. Re: 5 days in Dallas/Fort Worth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 07:17