We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Miami to Dallas

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Miami to Dallas

Hi we are planning a trip where we will end a cruise in Fort Lauderdale and need to get to Dallas for the flight home to Sydney Australia. Can anyone give me advice on what the drive would be like from Miami to Dallas, in respect to the time it would take, how many overnights needed, and overall what type of scenery would you expect to see. I see that it is approximately a 19 hour trip all up so I was thinking 2 overnights. I notice that you could maybe go via New Orleans. What towns would you recommend stopping and about how many hours driving over 2-3 days. We enjoy driving trips but really like to know if the scenic value of the trip would make it worthwhile. Otherwise what is the best airline to take, we don't really do cheapie flights, so would want a good and reliable airline.

I have also posted this on the Miami forum but thought I might find a different perspective for those who may have travelled from Texas.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Miami to Dallas

Southwest Airlines flies from Ft. Lauderdale to NO and to Dallas Love Field. Also between the latter two. It's a good airline. It's necessary to book through SWA's website. American and Delta fly from Miami to NO and DFW. If it were me I would fly. There'll be a drop charge on the one- way rental.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
687 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Miami to Dallas

I agree with texhills. Especially if you're talking about in the summer, that drive is exhausting. I used to do a similar one every summer, Dallas to Charlestown South Carolina. We did it in three days, stopping at two motels. New Orleans is awesome but it doesn't make sense if you're trying to get to Miami in a timely manner. You'll be exhausted after driving and then humid summer NOLA is just a headache after a drive like that. Sorry to be a downer. Just talking from experience =) I would definitely fly.

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Miami to Dallas

I also agree, get on the plane and fly back to Love field. Southwest is great because bags fly free. FLL airport is right next to the cruise port. You can take a taxi from the port to the airport, and fly home. You will be vacationed out after being on a boat for a few days. It's kinda like too much of a good thing at one time. Most of my trips are 3-4 days, then I'm ready to go home. Now if it's Hawaii, then I can see staying for a week or two, people have been known to go there and hang out. But a long road trip after a boat ride, no.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Miami to Dallas

All of the comments are spot on........EXCEPT.......wait for it............I'm just crazy!!

You can drive it, but be prepared to spend a good 3 days of 10 hours of driving. Driving from sunrise to sunset can be done! Plan to say at La Quinta type of hotels, as they will give a complimentary breakfast, all you can eat. You will drive through the Old South. The elongated part of Florida is called the "panhandle" (shaped like a pan handle). It is a straight shot on our Interstate Highways (similar to the Federal Highway from Sydney to Canberra). WE DO HAVE A LOT MORE EXITS than what you are used to!!! You can easily be sidetracked though. "You mean to tell me that you went to Mississippi and didn't go to see Graceland in Tennessee where Elvis lived???" Yeah, there is a LOT to see. Keep telling yourself that Aussie land is bigger than the U.S. EXCEPT we have a lot of things to see in each state. :-)))

IF you drive, the comments about New Orleans are accurate. A GREAT place to visit and party (and get whoopie drunk). It is also expensive. You should probably plan to book a hotel in advance near the French Quarter (that is an area near downtown and the Mississippi River where all of the jazz and booze parlours are located". You didn't ask, but there are day trips to the swamps to visit the gators!

Also, when you get to Dallas, you will leave from Terminal E on Qantas.

IF you fly, I completely agree with using Southwest Airlines. They will land in New Orleans (and you could spend the night and party) and then fly on the next day to Dallas. Dallas has 2 airports: the inner airport called Love Field and the international airport called Dallas-Ft. Worth International. SW lands at Love, but a taxi can get you to DFW. Also, SW has a LOT of flights per day to choose from. If you have a full fare ticket, you can simply catch the next SW flight to your destination.

I hope that J's Italian is still there in Sydney! Also, our stay in the Rocks was awesome. I LOVE chicken and mushroom pies, and YES travel gods smiled upon me in April when we visited Sydney.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
271 posts
2,372 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Miami to Dallas

Debbie---If you have the time and don't mind a little driving, go the auto route. You can fly a plane anytime but getting to see everything from Miami to Dallas may be a lifetime adventure for you. There is much to see along the way both close to the coast and even miles away from the coast. There are a great many towns and cities along the way that have significant interest. I would be hesitate to make any recommendations since I do nto know how much time you have available.Just get on the internet and Google a lot of the routes you think might be interesting and you will be surprised what is waiting along the way.I trust you will have a great cruise and have a nice driving experience from Miami to Dallas.

Dandenong...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Miami to Dallas

I am thinking exactly as you did. Just wanted to know whether you drove or flew. If you drove, can you share your experience with me as I am intending to drive from Miami to Dallas

7. Re: Driving from Miami to Dallas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2015, 05:17