We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photography in Dallas

Mitcham, Australia
Level Contributor
208 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Photography in Dallas

I will be visiting Dallas at Christmas time and would like some local information about taking pictures.

I am a keen amateur photographer with a particular interest in public transit so I certainly hope to take some pictures of the light rail system and vehicles. Of course, always from areas where the public is normally allowed.

I've looked at the DART website to see if there are any restrictions about photography but couldn't find anything. An email to DART went unanswered so I wondered if anyone from the Trip Advisor community could assist.

The reason I ask is that on some previous visits to the USA I have been interrogated either by transit police or transit employees. The responses have ranged from co-operative and helpful (especially when it is realised I am on vacation from Australia) to downright hostility.

I always take the approach of "when in Rome do as the Romans do" so would appreciate any local tips to avoid any issues or problems during my vacation.

I generally use a compact camera but sometimes a digital SLR.

Paul (in Australia)

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photography in Dallas

Honestly, people in this country get a little freaked out by people taking pictures of public transit because of security concerns. I lived in Washington DC for many years and it always made me uncomfortable, even if it was just a hapless tourist snapping photos. Downtown Dallas is very photogenic, so you should have no trouble finding things to photograph. Thanks-Giving Square and Chapel have always been one of my favorite photo subjects - http://www.thanksgiving.org/ . I would skip taking photos of DART trains or stations though.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,152 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photography in Dallas

I would not worry about it and take the pictures you want. I seriously doubt you will ever see a policeman anyway so you probably won't even be questioned. If you are, then tell them why you are taking them.

Everyone here has camera and uses them all the time. Most people carry cell phones that have cameras or IPads with cameras.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photography in Dallas

I don't think DART goes to Union Station but put it on the list. If want photos of trains, too, check the schedules for Amtrak and Trinity Railway Express which use the terminal. Reunion Tower near the station is photogenic from the ground with good views over Dallas from the tower. I doubt you'll have any problem even if a cop or security officer questions you.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photography in Dallas

Yes, the DART light rail (red & blue line) make a stop at Union Station. From there, take the Trinity Rail Express (TRE) to Fort Worth's ITC station downtown for a visit to Sundance Square, then a bus ride 10 min north to The Historic Stockyards for cowboys on horses and Longhorn steers - rodeo on Fri/Sat nights. http://www.fortworthstockyards.org

Another option would be a visit to Grapevine (adjoins DFW airport property to the north) and take the Grapevine Vintage Rail to the Stockyards. Grapevine is also the self-proclaimed Christmas Capital of Texas. :) grapevinetexasusa.com/christmas-capital-of-t…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
373 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photography in Dallas

Also, you can check out the historic trolleys -- might be good for photographing. My only word of caution for the DART is to be careful about carrying nice cameras around at night. I don't often hear about people being assaulted and having things stolen, but it does happen from time to time. During the day/normal business hours is usually fine.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photography in Dallas

Actually, there is an ongoing issue in the US with people being told they "aren't allowed" to photograph certain places and events. A lot of these are sort of made up standards that cop-types like to tell the public are the "law." Sometimes people are made to delete photographs under the watchful eyes of the cop-types. Obviously, you don't want to have these kinds of issues. Several years ago a computer magazine was doing an article on electronic access/support in airports and their staff was harassed in some airports and not in others--no rhyme or reason other than the whim of the cop-types.

I take photos everywhere of everything and a few times the cop-types have told me to stop, which I did, even though I know there are no such "laws." However, none of those times have i been forced to delete my photos. My stance on photography is it's better to have a bad photo than none at all. So I'd take the photos as desired, and if someone asks you to stop, stop.

1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Photography in Dallas

You can take pictures everywhere as long as you are on public property. I have been told on few occasions in Dallas that I could not take photos, including at the bank of America building. I just step back to the sidewalk and keep shooting when this happens. You have the right to photograph anything you can see from a public space, including public transportation. Even at the airport! If you are on private property you may be asked to stop.

8. Re: Photography in Dallas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2015, 05:15