We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations 4 stuff to do for a girl by herself

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations 4 stuff to do for a girl by herself

My husband is going to an event at the convention center this weekend. We will be staying at the Courtyard Blackstone. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for things I can go do while he is at his event. Shopping, museums, spas? We are big foodies so any resturant recommendations would be appreciated too!!! Thanks!!!

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,997 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations 4 stuff to do for a girl by herself

The Sundance Square area of downtown Fort Worth is very interesting architecturally so if you are into looking at old buildings, it can be fun just walking around. The Tarrant County courthouse and the Fort Worth Public library are great places to look around. There's a bed and breakfast downtown, Etta's Place, that you might want to stop and look at for any future trip- it is a renovated building and a cool place to stay.

Here's a good website for shops and restuarants, etc.

www.sundancesquare.com

There aren't any big stores left downtown but there are little shops that can take up a few hours (and a few dollars!). The Barnes and Nobles bookstore is large and has a cool two story horse statue in it.

Most of the downtown restaurants are chains. One of the more interesting is Reata's- even if you don't eat there, go up to the rooftop bar and have a drink and look at the view. Some folks like Del Frisco's for steak- I'd rather go to the Stockyards to Cattlemen's or H3.

8.0 and the Flying Saucer are good for a local crowd, live music and beer.

If you have a car or don't mind a cab, I recommend dinner at Sapristi's!, south of I-30 on Forest Park, in a small strip mall- it is excellent. Make reservations- it is small and gets packed. (www.sapristibistro.com)

The Water Gardens down by the convention center reopened this year-well worth a visit.

You can catch a bus/trolley over to the Arts district and visit the Kimbell or Modern Art Museum or Amon Carter or National Cowgirl museum- both the KImbell and the Modern are great for lunch.

Or head down to the Stockyards and visit some of the touristy/Western shops down there. It is a pretty cool area for music and bars, including Billy Bob's if you wanted to go back at night with your spouse.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
467 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations 4 stuff to do for a girl by herself

Thanks for your feedback! I had considered the bed and breakfast but we changed our minds while booking. Have you ever eaten at Hedary's Lebonese resturant? I was looking at their menu and it looked kinda tasty!

Thanks for your help :) :) :) :)

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,997 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations 4 stuff to do for a girl by herself

When I lived up there, we always talked about eating at Hedary's and never did. Of course, now I regret it. It has been there forever and gets good write ups but I can't give you any personal experience.

I hope you enjoy FW- please post a trip report when you get home and let us know what you ended up doing.

4. Re: Recommendations 4 stuff to do for a girl by herself

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 23:16