We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scouting trip before relocationg to Fort Worth area

Indian Rocks Beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Scouting trip before relocationg to Fort Worth area

I'm relocating from overseas. I've read some great tips for visits to Fort Worth on this forum.

I'm coming on a pre-relocation scouting trip May 2-5 and would be grateful for any tips on the Weatheford, Azle, Eagle Mountain area to get a feel for the area, short driving trip around, special places, parks, hotels, restaurants.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scouting trip before relocationg to Fort Worth area

One word of advice- never put anything about "relocation" or "relocating" in the title of your post. It is a red flag to the folks at TA and they may well close down this thread.

Keep in mind that a huge part of Texas has been in a long term drought. Water is a problem here and does not look to get better. As they say, the last war was about oil- the next one will be about water!

Weatherford is a nice city, county seat with a pretty courthouse, very Western with lots of horse related businesses. Parker County is well known for its peaches. Weatherford has suffered the usual growing pains as folks from the Fort Worth area have pushed out to the west. If you visit, be sure to check out Chandor Gardens. It is a friendly place but not particualrly diverse. This link might help.

www.weatherford-chamber.com

Azle is a small bedroom community on Eagle Mountain Lake. Used to have lots of agriculture but is mainly suburban now days. Most non-school activites center around the lake or Fort Worth.

If I were coming visit, I would just stay in Fort Worth and make day trips to the communities that interest me.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scouting trip before relocationg to Fort Worth area

Weatherford has 1st Monday Flea Markets the first weekend of the month, and its a lot of fun, lots of stuff to do and eat.

Eagle Mountain is actually a pretty decent lake, with boat ramps, camping and swimming.

As far as Azle goes, its just a little town but not really worth the time to spend there.

Indian Rocks Beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scouting trip before relocationg to Fort Worth area

Sorry if the "r" word offended. I had no idea. Anyway, will not mention it again. I couldn't see any way to edit my post, or I would have removed the word.

Thanks for the good tips. It gives me a better idea of what I'll find and a better perspective of what is in Azle and what is in Weatherford.

Originally from Seattle, I visited Fort Worth in 2006 where I attended a Trade Fair. I really liked the city. I've been thinking about coming back since then.

I'll be visiting on the first weekend in May, so maybe I will take in the Flea Market to see what Weatherford is like and he people there.

I was thinking of getting a hotel in Weatherford, but you suggest lodging in Fort Worth. Isn't it a long drive from Fort Worth to Weatherford?

I hoped drive to see Mineral Springs, maybe the Speedway...the countryside.

I've been a horselover since childhood but never owned any so that aspect of the area sounds great.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scouting trip before relocationg to Fort Worth area

I suggested a Fort Worth hotel since you want to see other places in the surrounding area. However, staying in Weatherford would make sense if being there and seeing Mineral Wells are your main objectives. There are a few bed and breakfasts in town (Angels Nest, Mama's Wish) as well the basic chain hotels out on I-20 (HIE, Best Western, EconoLodge).

Denton, Tx.
Level Contributor
207 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scouting trip before relocationg to Fort Worth area

As a sales manager I get to travel all over north Texas. From a personal perspective the eastern side of Eagle Mountain lake has some very nice homes in a pleasant setting and good views. I find it quite appealing considering its proximity to Fort Worth.

I'm just not a fan of Azle. Simply a place to pass through while going somewhere else. Simply not a whole lot going on there.

Weatherford is a quaint town of 25,000 and growing. Only problem is that it's 25-30 miles from the center of Fort Worth. Several neat horse farms in the area. Also a good choice if one is looking for an acreage. Lots of pleasant rolling hills in the area.

Indian Rocks Beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scouting trip before relocationg to Fort Worth area

Sounds like I'll be booking a hotel in Weatherford. Here's my shortlist:

Chandor Gardens

Mineral Wells Park

Eagle Mountain Lake

Billy Bob's

Stockyards

Texas Motor Speedway

....shopping, any suggestions?

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
236 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scouting trip before relocationg to Fort Worth area

If you want a mall, you've got Ridgmar & Hulen in Ft. Worth. If you just want individual stores, you have plenty in Weatherford very near the I-20/51/171 split.

You might throw Clark Gardens in your itinerary. It's just east of Mineral Wells State Park and since you're already going there....

The First Monday trade days is dead. They still have them, but not very many vendors any more. It won't take you more than a few hours.

Indian Rocks Beach...
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scouting trip before relocationg to Fort Worth area

Great! I've added those.

I'm watching weather reports for DFW at Yahoo weather, but sometimes online forcasts and conditions don't match reality.

What's the weather temperature-wise this time of year? Can I leave my sweater and coat home?

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scouting trip before relocationg to Fort Worth area

I would bring a sweater/light jacket. It can be rather cool after a thunderstorm. Plus airconditioning in some restaurants is sometimes too cool for comfort.

Ft. Worth
Level Contributor
236 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scouting trip before relocationg to Fort Worth area

One light jacket is all you will need, and it will surprise me if you use it. Our high yesterday was 90, today it's supposed to be 88. It's getting in the 60's at night.