We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steak House and Mexican

Norwich, England
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Steak House and Mexican

Hi we're coming over from the UK shortly and staying in downtown, and we'd like to find a good steak house, We've eaten in Morton's in LA and NY and had varying experiences so would like to try somewhere different, preferably that's not a chain. Is there a Fort Worth "institution" for good steaks? Appreciate any recommendations you may have that's within walking distance/resonable cab from downtown. Doesn't have to be Morton's style "fine dining" - just somewhere with excellent food!

Also if there any mexican restaurants that are particularly good, we'd like to hear about thouse too! Generally a list of your favourite places would be ideal

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Steak House and Mexican

We really enjoy Reata both for food and atmosphere. Having a drink on the rooftop is a great way to start the evening. I am not a big steak eater but my husband loves the bone-in ribeye (just give me the chickenfried steak).

www.reata.net

If you wander over to the Stockyards (short cab ride), for a basic, locals kind of place, it is hard to beat Cattlemens- this is not fancy but good eats and definitely Western decor.

www.cattlemenssteakhouse.com

For Tex-Mex, we like El Rancho Grande on North Main as you head form downtown to the Stockyards.

FORT PARTY WORTH,TX
Level Contributor
111 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Steak House and Mexican

Here we go," Welcome To Where The West Begins"! In Texas we love our beef and to me the Best steak can be found here:

http://www.delfriscos.com

Now for the Tex-Mex my selection would be Mi Cocina:

http://www.mcrowd.com

Also check this site out for some other ideas:

http://www.sundancesquare.com

Enjoy Cowtown while you're in Ft. Worth and remember to STAY COOL!

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
558 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Steak House and Mexican

Reatta does have a great view and great food, love the chicken fried there too and their pork tamales-yummo! The Silver Fox Steakhouse is a good choice as well.

Mexican for me: for fajitas and great chips and salsa-Uncle Julios (but not for enchiladas). For classic Tex Mex that's a bit more Mex-Benitos on Magnolia (here you get the combo plate with a cheese enchilada, potato and chorizo tostada and chicken taco). Yucatan Taco Stand on Magnolia has what I'd call a bit more trendy latin food but it's great and they have a great tequila selection (it's not really a stand, it's a nice restaurant with fun atmosphere), their nachos are huge and I mean huge, their garlic shredded beef tacos are amazing, chicken and ground beef are good ones too, the shrimp tacos were a little short on shrimp but had a great sauce, thumbs up on their chips and salsa and queso, too!.

Fred's Texas Cafe has a really good burger and great daily specials and atmosphere and nice cold beer! I looooove a bacon cheeseburger at Kincaide's on Camp Bowie at their original location.

I hope you enjoy Ft Worth, it's a great city!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,078 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Steak House and Mexican

my tex-mex restaurant du jour is el asadero on north main, between the fort worth courthouse and the stockyards...family owned place, not fancy, lots of hispanics eat there so you know its good!!...try the fajitas..

Arlington, Texas
Destination Expert
for South Padre Island
Level Contributor
809 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Steak House and Mexican

I love Bob's Chop House for steaks. and I like Uncle Julios for Mexican. But have to give a shout out to Pappasitos, too. (it's consistently good and the portions are huge)

FORT PARTY WORTH,TX
Level Contributor
111 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Steak House and Mexican

I forgot about another mexican food joint that is off the chain, Gloria's on W 7th St. This place really serves it up and is in a great locations to do other things, like watching the World Cup! Enjoy your stay!

gloriasrestaurants.com/component/…

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Steak House and Mexican

If you like Salvadoran food, you will like Gloria's. All of the locations are quite nice- I had to laugh at one person who called it "exotic Mexican" ;-)

Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
319 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Steak House and Mexican

I think all the recommendations you've received above for a great steak are right on.

But for Mexican food, we love Joe T's. Just off North Main St. south of the stockyards area. Cash only, and no menu, cheese enchiladas or chicken or beef fajitas only but very good. Great Margaritas too.

And don't let the long line scare you. They have a huge garden area that seats lots for customers for outside seating. Just get in line and have some one walk inside and get you a margarita and bring it back. You can drink them in line while you wait.

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
558 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Steak House and Mexican

I've been meaning to try el asadero, I've heard good things about it. Gloria's is more central American and it's very good, that black bean dip is amazing-I could eat a gallon of it! It's a small chain within Dallas/Ft Worth and a few suburbs.

I'm not a Joe T's fan myself, I like their patio and margaritas but find their food nothing special and not worth the wait, any wait, but to each their own.

TX
Level Contributor
5,732 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Steak House and Mexican

Just a word of warning about Asadero's salsa ... it will kick your, well, your a$$-adero. ;-) It's really hot, but absolutely delicious.

I'm not a big Joe T's fan either. The patio is lovely in the warmer months, but the food (IMO) is mediocre at best.