We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2011 Texas State Fair

Which Fort Worth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
8 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
2011 Texas State Fair

My family is interested in visiting the Texas State Fair this year. Not being from Texas, we don't know the fair traditions. This far out, I'm mostly interested in specific days like "school kids get in free" and the like, so we can avoid those! Of course, I'd also like to know things like good livestock days, etc. Can anyone suggest some good dates to visit (and good dates to stay away)? Any and all advice appreciated at this point. Thanks.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2011 Texas State Fair

Note that the fair is in Fair Park in Dallas. The dates are 9/30-10/23. Here's the link http://www.bigtex.com/sft/index.asp which you can explore, but the calendar for 2011 has yet to be posted.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2011 Texas State Fair

The school kids get in free day is usually a Friday. Avoid the weekends. Go early in the day. You must eat a Fletcher's Corn Dog. Wear comfortable shoes and clothes. Remember it can still be in the 90s in Texas then.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2011 Texas State Fair

and for some unexplained meteorological reason 90% of Octobers rain fall total seems to fall during the state fair..so bring along one of those compact umbrellas.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2011 Texas State Fair

steve- it's like ice and snow during the FW Stock Show ;-)

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,460 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2011 Texas State Fair

Oct 7 will be the day to avoid - that's when Dallas public school kids get a day off from school to go to the fair. Every school district has their day - including private school days. You can't avoid all of them, but Oct 7 will definately be the one to avoid.

This is from last year's fair, but usually the schedule is the same for discount days. Tues is a good day to go if you want to ride rides - rides are usually all the same price and slightly discounted as well. shopacrosstexas.com/bestintexas/…

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2011 Texas State Fair

As others have mentioned, weather can be iffy. Wear a light jacket/windbreaker that can be removed and put-on at will without being weighed down with "maybe's".

Fletcher's Corn Dog is a must - Fletcher's/State Fair of Texas claims to be the original. In any case, the "proper" way to eat it, is with a large bead of yellow mustard running the length - corny dog in one hand, wad of napkins in the other.

As the time draws closer, Coke and others may offer discounts. Re-visit the question in August.

No one likes to bring bad press to their town, BUT... parking is always an issue. Invariably, hundreds of out-of-towners and in-towners have cars towed due to parking in a "non-approved" space/lot. I'd advise taking public transportation to the fair and avoid the possibility. www.bigtex.com/sft/guestinfo/Parking.asp

The state fair lasts 3 weeks. In the 2nd week there's a huge football game between long time rivals, University of Texas and Oklahoma University (probably 10/15) - TX-OU weekend. I'd advise going prior to that weekend for a *tidier* experience. It will be difficult getting motel reservation during that weekend.

The fair is a great experience. Enjoy!!!

For additional info, enter <state fair of Texas> in the TA search box.

Do not miss the "Birds of the World" show! Outside in the Band Shell. Exceptional!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 2011 Texas State Fair

You might want to avoid Mondays also when the other school districts besides Dallas get out for fair day. The first week is always less crowded than the other two weeks.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,460 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2011 Texas State Fair

I've always the very first day is the best day - not crowded and super clean.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2011 Texas State Fair

Check out the discounts as the time comes near, like get in for $5.00 with a Dr Pepper can and that sort of thing. DART Park & Ride is your best bet for cost, convenience, and security- the Green Line train now drops off at the front gate- and I feel alot safer on the train than walking around in questionable surroundings to find my car. (I park on the Red Line and change trains at West End Station using a day pass for $3.) Definitely stay after dark for the parade of lights at dusk and the laser light show.

My preferred days are the last weekend it's open and I almost never wait in line; however, the stock shows are all over at that point. You will need to look at the calendar of events to find out what's going on when. Weekdays are generally better than weekends.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2011 Texas State Fair

hello

Are there any ticket discounts being offered yet

such as the "get in for $5.00 with a Dr Pepper can" example from tarad2011

Can we keep this topic open for locals/texans to post discount offers