We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay?

We're two friends (male/female) from Denmark, spending two-three days over the weekend in Fort Worth in the beginning of October.

We'll be picking up a rental in DFW upon arrival.

We are looking for budget- to midrage accommodation, but we really don't know in which area to stay...

Any and all help would be much appreciated :)

Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
319 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

Sundance Square/downtown Ft Worth is a great area.

http://www.sundancesquare.com/

Just a short distance to the north is the Stockyards area.

http://www.fortworthstockyards.org/

If it were I and in my budget, I'd stay in the Sundance Square area... Lots to do and safe.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

I'd suggest using the Trip Advisor HOTEL tab to research lodging in Arlington, Tx. Midway between DAllas and Ft Worth, you can be in either downtown within 15-20 min. The TA Hotel search feature allows fine tuning your search to include various amenities including price. The returned list will invade travellers' reviews to aid you. These reviews, and staying with major hotel brands (Sheraton, Hyatt, best Western, Choice Hotels (multiple brands), etc) should be a fairly sound bet.

Bedford, Texas
Level Contributor
319 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

Since you are from Copenhagen, Denmark, I thought you might might benefit from staying in Sundance Square/Stockyards area since you could walk to a lot of places and if you were to drive it would be a short distance. Another new development area in Ft Worth just a short distance west of downtown is the 7th Street Area. Here's a link.

http://visit7th.com/

Yes, you could stay in Arlington but you'd have to drive everywhere for the most part. There is currently lots of traffic construction and conjestion in the DFW area. For me, I would not want to waste my time sitting in construction traffic on my vacation while in a new town and country but that's just me. It would also depends on what you are wanting to do. Arlington does offer many things to do. Here's a link to the attraction in City of Arlington. http://www.experiencearlington.org/

As for Dallas, great city but other than the oblivious things I live and stay mostly on the Ft Worth side of the metroplex so I can't help you much there. I'll leave that to those who know Dallas better.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

The OP requested: "We are looking for budget- to midrage accommodation" and unfortunately, downtown accommodations generally far exceed budget prices although there are exceptions if you use Expedia, etc. You may be able to find a special.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,036 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

yeah but arlington?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,036 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?

also, budget to mid-range might mean something else to someone from denmark then to someone in the states...maybe throw out a budget per night you are willing to spend.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay?

Whatever the origin, budget can be effectively translated among hotels rated 5-star vs 3-star vs crappy 1-star.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,036 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay?

say what? in europe budget is pretty much 100-150 dollars a night...in my forum that is first question we ask when people say they want a cheap hotel when pressed they say 50-80 dollars a night..we say it aint gonna happen. depending where you are from it does make a difference.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay?

I'm so sorry that I forgot to thank you all....

We had a lovely stay in Fort Worth and I completely lost my heart to Texas!

The cowboys – real and more showlike :) – the food, the cities, the ever changing landscape, the nerve-racking highways and the most friendly, accommodating and helpful people.

The people, the people, the people… :)

We ended up staying at The Holliday Inn at West Lancaster. A nice, but completely bland hotel.

Thank you so much for your help – and you are right steveftw: We consider 100-150 a night pretty much standard. I think that we ended up paying an average of 150-175 a night, 80 being the cheapest, but it was a last minute deal.

Once again – thank you so much for all your inputs and help.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,892 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay?

Thanks forr coming back with an update.