We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport Guidance Please

Queensland Australia
Level Contributor
401 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Transport Guidance Please

Hi my wife, 8 year old Grand Daughter and l will be passing through DFW from Orlando (yes Disneyworld and SeaWorld) and New York en-route home to Australia. We are stopping at Dallas/Fort Worth arriving early afternoon on a Sunday in May and departing late PM the following Tuesday. The trip is primarily for the Grand daughter, but we have not been to Texas either. Is this plan OK.

We (on TA advice) plan to catch a super shuttle to Hyatt Place Stockyards. That evening we will spend at the Stockyards etc.

On Monday catch a 1 or 15 Bus to the TRE, and thence catch the train to Dallas (just to have a quick look, and lunch, thence the train back before rush hour).

Then catch a Fort Worth 10 bus to Super Target or a 6 bus to Walmart. We are after a few cowboy hats just to bring home, and some general Texan Souvenirs. Would love to buy Stetsons but in our case just not worth it. Thence maybe dinner at Fort Worth and catch the Molly Trolley around the city, and the 10 bus back to the stockyards.

The last day we would again spend in Fort Worth or the Stockyards for the cowboy experience.

Finally a shuttle back to the airport at 6pm for the flight direct to Australia at 10pm.

I guess we are trying to give her the cowboy experience and see just a little Texas at the same time.

Any guidance, recommendations assistance would be appreciated.

I will also post this on the Dallas Forum.

Ta.

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
545 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport Guidance Please

As you may have heard, we Texans love our cars, I have ridden the TRE once or twice but I've never used the bus system so I can't comment on it. I will say that I don't think Target or Walmart will have cowboy hats, Walmart might have some cheap straw cowboy'ish hats but I'm not sure since that's more of a summer season item.

I'm not sure what your Dallas plans are but keep in mind-everything is kind of spread out here. Downtown has the 6th Floor Kennedy assassination museum, there's a children's science museum of some sort, the new Perot Museum-but I hear you need to book tickets ahead for it but that it's wonderful. The Dallas Farmers market has excellent bbq at the Pecan Lodge Thurs-Sunday only.

Stockyards are fun, Ft Worth also has Amon Carter Western art museum that is world class and a Cowgirl museum.

I hope ya'll have a great time!

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport Guidance Please

I cannot comment on the bus routes, but I'm VERY impressed with your research!!! :)

I agree you likely won't find Cowboy hats at Target or WM. Other than the universal blue jeans, you generally have to go to a western wear store for Cowboy duds. That said, since you'll be in the Stockyards anyway, check the General Store at the corner of Main and Exchange. It's a souvenir shop, so prices will be marked up, but per their web-site, they have a selection of affordably priced hats. generalstorestockyards.com/browse.cfm/…1.html

ARLINGTON, TX
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport Guidance Please

Stockyards is a Mecca for western wear. No less than 10 stores in the stockyards.

Queensland Australia
Level Contributor
401 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport Guidance Please

Thankyou everyone.

Like Texans we travel by car. Buses and trains are a bit alien to us, except when on holiday. We looked at hiring, but felt it not worth the problem for such a short period of time.

Thanks for the tips on the hats, the sites you mentioned , whilst touristy are just what we are after.

For KarinLB, just to confirm you feel that Super Shuttle is the best way to go each way DFW. By the time we leave l am expecting six suitcases/bags and three carry-ons.

Wife and Grand Daughter love to shop, and Monster High is now very big over here.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport Guidance Please

Per the Super Shuttle website, 2 checked bags and 1 carry-on per person should not be a problem. http://www.supershuttle.com/HowItWorks.aspx

Your ride into Dallas will be very pleasant on the TRE (double decker). While I'm not experienced with the city bus systems in Dallas or FW, I often commuted for work using the TRE and DART. MUCH more relaxing than fighting traffic, parking and paying to park. Purchase the Regional Day Pass at $10/pp which covers all transportation, TRE/DART/The-T in Dallas and Fort Worth.

Once you arrive at Union Station in Dallas, cross the tracks and take DART light rail, Red (Parker Road) or Blue (Rowlett) line to the first stop which is West End Station. Exit and enjoy the area for lunch and walking around. This is also where the JFK museum is if you are so inclined.

If you ride one stop further to the Akard station, you'll be in the heart of downtown Dallas. A very short walk away is Thanksgiving Square and chapel - a beautiful small downtown park. The bells ring out hourly, but at the noon hour, it's spectacular. On the return, take the Red (Westmoreland) or Blue (Ledbetter) line back to Union Station.

Here is a list of additional things to do in FW. http://www.fortworth.com/things-to-do/

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport Guidance Please

I want to make certain you're aware that Super Shuttle is a shared ride service; ie there may be one or more stops for other riders before your stop at the Hyatt. Not a problem unless you're in a rush to reach your destination.

Queensland Australia
Level Contributor
401 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport Guidance Please

Hi KarinLB

Happy Australia Day from Down Under.

Thanks again for the info.

Yes we are aware of the Shared Super Shuttle. In SF once we had a few problems with them, however l think we will just book it after we arrive, and if all else fails catch a Taxi. We are not time constrained at all.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport Guidance Please

I hope you enjoy your brief time here as much as I enjoyed my 9 days in NSW, 1999!!

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
28 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport Guidance Please

I've gone over your routes, and I believe that they will work. I would advise skipping the WalMart or Target. As others have said you won't find western wear there.

The only thing I would caution you on is this, Dallas and Fort Worth are 30 miles apart. So, when it comes to taking the bus/train you're talking about 1 -2 hours of transit time. My husband and I decided to take the TRE to Fort Worth one weekend, and it took us an hour. (And we live near DFW airport, which is smack dab in the middle of Dallas and Fort Worth.) If it was me, and I know it's not, I would just spend my time in Fort Worth. Dallas is a great town, but if I just had one night in Texas, I wouldn't want to try and see both.

I would also recommend Fort Worth over Dallas. Dallas has wonderful museums, some really fantastic parks and of course stellar shopping. That said, if you're bringing your granddaughter, the Stockyards are going to give her a more immediate hit of "OMG, We're in Texas." Plus, it's very easy to get to Sundance Square, which even though it's in the middle of a big renovation, still has a lot of fun shops. (And a store devoted to chocolate, and another for Cupcakes.) Also, the Cultural District isn't far (and you'll pass by a Target to get there). The Kimbell and the Modern are wonderful art museums.

No matter what, I'm sure you guys are going to have a great time!

Queensland Australia
Level Contributor
401 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport Guidance Please

Thanks everyone for the assistance. Sorry about getting back a bit late, however we have had no phone or internet due to the floods here.

Grand daughter is very excited.