We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nascar April 2014

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Nascar April 2014

Hi everyone,

was hoping to get a little advice. Am flying into Fort Worth in the evening of April 4th from Sydney Australia (my first stop on a 6 week US holiday).

I'm interested in going to the NASCAR race in honour of my husband who passed away recently.

As I'm a mature lady travelling alone, I'm wondering what my best options would be.

A travel package for 3 nights at Double Tree DFW including tickets, track & airport transfers etc is $750 or would I be better off arranging my own accom, transfers, tickets etc all separately. My budget is limited but safety is my priority.

Do I really need to spend two days at the track?

Thanks in advance

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,889 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nascar April 2014

Unless you are a big fan, I would think one day at the track is plenty. My husband says the Friday night Nationwide Series event is a good time plus you aren't sitting in the sun all day. And take ear plugs- it is crazy loud.

I think $750 for that package is a bit steep.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nascar April 2014

Thanks for the ear plugs tip Poodleone - putting it on my packing list right now!

I'll start checking out prices for accomm, Any areas that you think I should avoid?

Thanks

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,889 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nascar April 2014

Since you are by yourself, I suggest you look in downtown Fort Worth for a hotel. There will be more to do and see and you won't need to drive around as much. There are several pockets of motels and hotels closer to the Texas Motor Speedway but nothing much to see and not at all walkable from those areas. You might even see if the Hyatt Place in the Stockyards has availabilty- that is an interesting area.

The T (Fort Worth's bus system) has run shuttles in the past but when I called customer service today, no one had an answer yet. I will post if they email me back.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,889 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nascar April 2014

Oh, and FYI on costs to and from DFW airport- flat rate on a cab to downton FW-$43. SuperShuttle (shared ride van) $18. That will help you decide if any of these package deals are worth it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nascar April 2014

Thanks for your expertise poodleone. Hyatt at Stockyards has no availability so I'll keep looking.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,889 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nascar April 2014

Check out Townhome Suites, Etta's Place (B&B), Embassy Suites, Hilton, Sheraton, Worthington, Omni- all downtown. There is also a Courtyard by Marriott. Holiday Inn Express and Residence Inn are close but I don't consider them walkable for downtown.

7. Re: Nascar April 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 06:30