We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sundance Square or Stockyards for accomodation

Which Fort Worth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Sundance Square or Stockyards for accomodation

Getting some information for family who will be spending 5 nights in Fort Worth late June 2014 (arrive on the Friday, so will be there over the weekend) Interested in seeing the stockyards, a rodeo, the cattle coming down the street etc...having a cold beer and some ribs and steak Texas style. A couple, late 20's and not sure if they should stay in a hotel in the Stockyards area or in Sundance square. They will need taxis back and forward so not sure where its best to stay. They do not have transport so will be walking/taking taxis etc. May go into Dallas one of the days using the TRE, how long in time does the journey take?Any advice will be appreciated. Keen on a ranch experience but would only have say two days for this and would need transport so this may not be an option that would work? Any advice on how to have the best experience would be appreciated.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sundance Square or Stockyards for accomodation

I would go for the Sundance area, more to do close to the TRE.

Texas
Level Contributor
497 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sundance Square or Stockyards for accomodation

I would stay in the stockyards because of interest. The two hotels I would look at is the Stockyards Hotel and the Hyatt Place at the stockyards. The Sundance area is downtown and is a short taxi ride away.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,864 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sundance Square or Stockyards for accomodation

I will vote for staying in Sundance, although we do love the Stockyards Hyatt Place. Since they are staying 4-5 days, downtown and the Sundance area will provide more flexibility. They could easily cab to the Stockyards for a fun visit as well as ride Molly the Trolley around downtown and walk to the many bars and restaurants in Sundance Square. The museum district is also a short cab ride (or bus ride) away.

The TRE trip will run anywhere from 55 to 60 minutes usually, depending on time of day. Remember Saturday service is less frequent and the TRE does not run on Sundays.

www.trinityrailwayexpress.org

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sundance Square or Stockyards for accomodation

Well, downtown is eminently walkable. You can walk from the convention center at the south end of downtown to the courthouse on the north side of downtown in 10 minutes. So while I too would recommend staying in downtown, wouldn't limit my options to just Sundance Square. There's a really nice Omni on the south end of downtown, an Embassy Suites toward the middle, a Hilton, a Courtyard, and the Ashton. I'm sure I missed pone or two. There's also a Holiday Inn Express that qualifies as being in downtown, but it's a little too far southwest to be of much interest to someone who's on foot.

Everyone has a different opinion on food. People swear by the ribs at Angelo's, a true Texas BBQ dive and Fort Worth legend. Someone here once rebutted my suggestion of Joe T. Garcia's for Mexican food. It's another Fort Worth institution. All I can say is read the reviews and decide for yourself. Reata in Sundance Square is a good bet for "cowboy cuisine." Del Frisco's and Ruth's Chris are standard high-end steakhouses that offer similar experiences in other cities. There's a new place over on the Trinity River west of University Avenue whose name I can't remember that sounds interesting - someone here help me out.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sundance Square or Stockyards for accomodation

No ranches near the metroplex, but Widowmaker Trail Rides is in Southlake, neighboring DFW airport to the northwest. The trail ride winds through open brush and along lakeside. I urge you to read the a few TA reviews and see if this may interest them in lieu of a ranch visit. They could spend their last day/night either in Southlake or Grapevine. If interested, contact Widowmaker to see if they'd "shuttle" between the local hotel and their stables - otherwise, they'd need a taxi.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g56693-d20…

http://www.dallashorseback.com/

http://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/

Riding the TRE between FW and Dallas is easy and enjoyable. It's about a one hour ride with maybe 6 brief stops along the way. $10 for 2-zone (Dallas and FW) regional, day pass. See web-site schedule - NOTE: there is no late night service nor is there any service on Sunday There are a number of points of interest within downtown Dallas and along DART's light rail routes, McKinney Ave Trolley and DARTs new D-LINK.

TX
Level Contributor
5,715 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sundance Square or Stockyards for accomodation

Another vote for Sundance. I think there's more of interest in downtown than in the Stockyards, and as stated above, that puts you closer to the TRE.

7. Re: Sundance Square or Stockyards for accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 05:19