We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend in Fort Worth/Dallas

Which Fort Worth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Williston, Ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Topic
Weekend in Fort Worth/Dallas

I have lots of questions. Will arrive in Ft Worth/Dallas area on Saturday afternoon. Hope to see cattle drive, Stockyards, and rodeo. On Sunday afternoon will attend baseball game (a must) in Arlington. Monday we plan to visit 6th Floor museum, etc. Would a hotel in Arlington be our best base? Do you need advance tickets for rodeo? for baseball game? for 6th floor museum? Other attractions we don't want to miss? We can stay longer but our plan is to head to San Antonio late Monday or Tuesday AM.

ARLINGTON, TX
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend in Fort Worth/Dallas

Will you have a car ?

Williston, Ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend in Fort Worth/Dallas

Yes. It's a road trip starting and ending in Houston.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend in Fort Worth/Dallas

I suggest spending Sat night in the Stock Yards to have no worries about driving after the rodeo. Maybe go to Billy Bobs and other night spots there afterwards. Sunday, move to an Arlington hotel within walking distance of the ballpark. There are several from which to choose. Search for "hotels near Rangers ballpark in Arlington." From there make a trip into Dallas on Monday.

Before leaving Ft. Worth drive downtown to see The Water Gardens which are unique. Cowboys Stadium (now called ATT Stadium) in Arlington is something to see but don't know if you can fit in a tour if interested. Much to see in Dallas depending upon your interests. Take US281 to SA; a much nicer drive than I35.

Buy tickets in advance to everything. The Rangers draw big crowds.

Edited: 02 May 2014, 03:44
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend in Fort Worth/Dallas

+1 to texhills recs for nightly lodging. The Sheraton in Arlington get high marks, particularly given they have a most inviting pool area to enjoy during our seasonally "warm" upcoming weekend. That said, the Rangers are in LA this weekend.

As to advance tickets, I don't know that it's entirely necessary, but I always like to purchase ahead where possible - just to avoid a line if there is one. While in West End (6th Floor Museum/Dealy Plaza), you might also enjoy the Old Red Museum across the street. http://www.oldred.org/

Fort Worth, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend in Fort Worth/Dallas

You should spend some time in Sundance Square as well while you are in downtown. They just opened a new plaza on Main Street...world class! And if you are into JFK, there is a moving tribute to him in downtown as well. Check that out before the 6th floor museum to follow that day in chronological order. Sid Richardson museum is definitely worth a look too.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend in Fort Worth/Dallas

Leonids - when you mention the moving tribute to JFK in "downtown", would that be Dallas or FW. Does it have a name that can be googled, or can you provide more specific location information?! :)

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend in Fort Worth/Dallas

KarinLB- right across from the Hilton, where JFK gave his speech before leaving for Dallas, there is a bronze statue and a granite wall with quotes.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend in Fort Worth/Dallas

Thanks poodle -

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,158 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend in Fort Worth/Dallas

Never realized that was there. We'll have to take a look on our next trip to the Metroplex. Thanks, poodleone and Karin.

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weekend in Fort Worth/Dallas

I loved the Perot Science Museum in Dallas, it's great for people of all ages, very interactive.

I would check the traffic and if I35 looks ok, go that way, the blue bonnets are done blooming and that drive down Hwy 281 is really long IMO. I go to Austin a lot and I just hit I35 and go. There's a toll road that runs down the east side of Austin to Sequin and you can hop onto I10 into San Antonio, it'll cost you $15 to take it all the way but it'll save you a lot of time. Just stop for a potty break before you get on the toll road as it's pretty rural.