We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 night in Fort Worth Stockyards or Sundance Square

Which Fort Worth hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
1 night in Fort Worth Stockyards or Sundance Square

Travelling to Dallas(staying in Fort Worth) for 1 night wanted to see the Wild West scene of Texas noticed Stockyards Ticks the boxes for that, only staying for 1 night and I don't know where to stay either Hyatt Place at stockyards happy with the location or Sundance square I know there very close drive to each other but I won't be hiring a car. want to see saloons, bars with live country music, western clothing stores, not really into museums. Which one has more night life entertainment? is stockyards more of a place you visit in the day?

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,847 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 night in Fort Worth Stockyards or Sundance Square

As mentioned in your previous post, the Stockyards will be a good place for all the "wild west" things you want to see. No, it isn't a place you only visit in the daytime. Go late in the afternoon, if you want to catch the cattle drive, shop, eat, drink, listen to live music into the evening. If you can get a reservation at the Hyatt Place, I would stay there- one of my favorites. Otherwise, just stay at one of the great hotels in downtown/Sundance Square and take a cab- it isn't very far.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 night in Fort Worth Stockyards or Sundance Square

If you want wild west-type stuff, the Stockyards is your best bet. Lots of fun, historical stuff to tour. Good shopping there too. Ride the Tarantula (steam train), watch a cattle drive down Main St., Billy Bob's for live country music, bar & dancing at night. Lonesome Dove (chef Tim Love) is expensive (reservations), but fabulous (rattlesnake, rabbit, elk & more have been on the menu). Sundance Square is very lively and fun at night (lots to do within walking distance) but more urban, less wild west....For good, western fare, ambiance in SS, try Reata (expensive, reservations). Not far from SS is the less expensive Angelo's BBQ. Famous place in FW. Been there forever/lots of famous ppl have eaten there. Good brisket tacos, lots of taxidermy.... Kind of a fun hole-in-the-wall. In the museum district (less than 10 min. drive) you'll find The National Cowgirl Hall of Fame, Will Roger's complex and Log Cabin Villiage. Hope that helps!

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 night in Fort Worth Stockyards or Sundance Square

For lunch/dinner, I suggest an excellent burger from Love Shack or the Texas staple, Chicken Fried Steak (aka CFS) from The Star Cafe. www.fortworthstockyards.org/Dining.aspx

I know you said you're not big on museums, but as you walk Exchange Av, keep in mind you're walking the path of many "real" cowboys and drovers from decades prior. Most, if not all of the buildings are a "museum" in their own right, as this part of Fort Worth was once a working stockyard - last major southerly stop for stocking up on supplies prior to driving cattle north up the untamed Chisholm Trail. The stock exchange and auction also turned many $$$ from the same cattle enterprise. www.fortworthstockyards.org/History.aspx

Enjoy your stay!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
548 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 night in Fort Worth Stockyards or Sundance Square

Hi amanda1821,we just got back from our USA holiday which ended in fortworth,we had arrived in fortworth after 10 days in VEGAS ( which we had an absolute ball ) so we felt maybe fortworth may have been a bit of a let down, we couldn't have been more wrong,we spent a day and a half in the stockyards area and had the best time,we stayed at the omni,but we noticed the hyatt ,I would highly recommend staying at the hyatt it's perfect if your staying only one night,you'll get all the day action and also be close to the saloons etc at night with very little walking to,do,try to get there on a Friday or sat night and catch the rodeo at the coliseum ( opposite the hyatt) we has so much fun there,watching the cattle drive,talking to,the cowboys,great shopping ,the white elephant saloon has lots of character,we both agreed that the full day we spent in the stockyards matched any other singular day we spent anywhere else,btw ,we also were left with no,doubt that texans were by far the friendliest in the country by a mile,,you'll love it

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 night in Fort Worth Stockyards or Sundance Square

Thanks John! As usual, of all I've known, you're the most appreciative visitor to our little piece of the world. ;)

Amanda, just to clarify - the Omni is in downtown FW, several block from Sundance Square. The Hyatt John refers to in on Exchange in the Stockyards.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 night in Fort Worth Stockyards or Sundance Square

Thanks for all your replies, I have decided to stay at Hyatt can't wait to meet some cowboys!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 night in Fort Worth Stockyards or Sundance Square

johnb, being a native Texan, born and raised in Fort Worth, your comments made me smile. My sentiments exactly. Cheers!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
134 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 night in Fort Worth Stockyards or Sundance Square

Amanda, as a fellow Melburnian, I am too staying overnight at the Hyatt in November. Can't wait to get a taste of the old West!

9. Re: 1 night in Fort Worth Stockyards or Sundance Square

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2015, 06:16