We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wineries and Wine Tasting

Which Fredericksburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rockwall, TX
Level Contributor
151 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Wineries and Wine Tasting

We are visiting Fredricksburg next weekend and thought it would be fun to go to some wineries and do a little wine tasting since we have never done that before. Do you have a winery that you would recommend going to to do this? There will be four of us in our group.

Texas
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wineries and Wine Tasting

Check these websites: texaswinetours.com or texas-wine-tours.com. These are full treatment tours!

The Fredericksburg Chamber website (fredericksburg-texas.com) is also helpful. Click on the "plan your visit" tab, and you'll see "wineries". Click on that and you've got a full list. D'Vine Wine and Water 2 Wine are actually located on Main St. Even though you're going for wine tasting, leave time for some great food, shopping, and Rockbox Theater.

Happy trails!

Rockwall, TX
Level Contributor
151 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wineries and Wine Tasting

Thanks! We've looked at the Fredericksburg site and were hoping for some first hand recommendations. The Rockbox is on our list of things to do if we can fit it in.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wineries and Wine Tasting

Here's the link to the wineries in the Hill Country www.texaswinetrail.com/index.html Becker near Stonewall is our favorite winery. I would put that at the top of your list. www.beckervineyards.com

btw Hwy 281 is an attractive alternative to bland I35. If you take Hwy 190 at Belton, you can pick up 281 at Lampasas, then head down to Johnson City. Turn on 290 there to go to Fredericksburg. Going 281 might add a few minutes to your drive, but is a lot prettier.

USA
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wineries and Wine Tasting

Becker is one my favorite. I recommend their tour of the place (not sure if it is still offer.) It was neat going down the underground wine cellar. Another fav is Torre di Pietra.

Rockwall, TX
Level Contributor
151 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wineries and Wine Tasting

Great! We'll put Becker on our list. Torre di Pietra was one that we wanted to do also.

My husband hunts near Hamilton. He wants to stop by the lease on the way down so we'll just take 281 from there. We only get on 35 when we have to. We'd much rather take the backroads even if they do take a little longer. There's much more to see!

Houston
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Wineries and Wine Tasting

I just returned from Fredericksburg. I would have to agree with the above posts. Becker is a great winery to visit. Our favorite is Torre di Pietra - the knowledge of the individuals conducting the wine tasting, the personal attention, and the outside area to sit and enjoy your wine. They also have live music on Saturdays!

Enjoy your trip!

Rockwall, TX
Level Contributor
151 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wineries and Wine Tasting

Thank you! So, considering that we have never done this before, do you just drive up to the winery, walk in and say that you are there to do some wine tasting? I don't want to look too clueless. :)

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wineries and Wine Tasting

Touring and tasting are big business for wineries, so you will not likely be the only ones there. There will be signs directing you where to park and where to enter for tours and tastings. Becker has a very nice tasting area where you can buy cheese and crackers and then sit out on their patio and enjoy a glass of wine in a beautiful setting.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wineries and Wine Tasting

That's all there is to it. You go in and they will tell you what wines they have open, which is usually just about everything they make. It varies, but it should be free except wineries may charge to taste their more expensive wines, which you're certainly under no obligation to taste. Nor are you under any obligation to buy anything.

Rockwall, TX
Level Contributor
151 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wineries and Wine Tasting

Thanks for your replies! Neither my husband or I are wine drinkers but are interested in learning more about it and hopefully finding one that we like. We are looking forward to doing a little wine tasting on our trip.

Get answers to your questions about Fredericksburg