We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fredericksburg Area Wineries.....new ones to recommend?

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
598 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Fredericksburg Area Wineries.....new ones to recommend?

In planning our Fredericksburg trip, I forgot to write down a posting that mentioned a new winery with a great tasting room. Almost had an Italian sounding name??? Also, others have mentioned Becker and I would love to hear your own personal favorites....wineries with good cabs, pinots, and other red varietals. More in the California style would be great. Thank you!

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,505 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fredericksburg Area Wineries.....new ones to recommend?

I think Mr. Ted's post here tripadvisor.com/…47597318 will help.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
598 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fredericksburg Area Wineries.....new ones to recommend?

No...it thought it started with a V or something and again, it had a more exoctic or Italian sounding name. I did a quick search of the prior winery posts but this may have been in someone's trip report, etc.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fredericksburg Area Wineries.....new ones to recommend?

The only one near Fredericksburg that I can think of with an Italian sounding name is Torre di Pietra - http://www.texashillcountrywine.com/ .

There is a winery in Driftwood - Duchman Family Winery - that has an excellent Italian restaurant on site - Trattoria Lisina - http://trattorialisina.com/

The only new winery that I remember someone mentioning recently in a trip report that we haven't discussed elsewhere is Solaro Estate - http://www.solaroestate.com/ . She was very impressed with it.

The wines you are going to find out here are going to be mostly Italian-style varietals. The climate and terrain are closer to that of Tuscany than the cooler regions of California. There are some cabs and I have seen a couple of pinots, but pinots especially don't grow as well here as Italian-style grapes. There are lots of Tempranillos and other Spanish-style wines, too, again because of the similar climates and terrains.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
598 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fredericksburg Area Wineries.....new ones to recommend?

That might be it....my husband loves that style of wine. It may be our first winery stop as we are coming from Austin. Thank you!!!

Granbury TX
Level Contributor
41 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fredericksburg Area Wineries.....new ones to recommend?

Along the Texas 290 Highway almost any vineyard is great. Our favorite is Becker Vineyards. As Texan's

' we buy only Texas Wine .After tasting these great wines you will see why. I would also would recommend stopping in for a cold Lone Star or Shiner in Luckenbach as you will be right by it in Fredriksburg. It is as Texan as anywhere in that area. A true Texas Classic.

At the visitor center in Frederiksburg they have a very good map of the 290 Wine Trail. Enjoy your time in Texas, it truly is Like a Whole Other Country. We are very proud of our state and after visiting you will see why...

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,505 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fredericksburg Area Wineries.....new ones to recommend?

Mr. Ted comes through again!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fredericksburg Area Wineries.....new ones to recommend?

Just my opinion, but Torre was definitely not our favorite during our visit. William Chris in Hye was our favorite.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
73 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fredericksburg Area Wineries.....new ones to recommend?

Not to be snide about Texas wine, but if you want something more "in the California style," visit California wineries. The F'burg "wine country" has a few legitimately good products, but there are a ton of new opportunists jumping into the wine business out there just to ride the tourist dollar. They are all Tuscan-looking-villa, and no grape (as in "all hat and no cowboy"). Buy a good bottle of wine from elsewhere and pack it on a picnic to the scenic Hill Country, skip the wineries.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,505 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fredericksburg Area Wineries.....new ones to recommend?

Lucky, I think your assessment is fair. Same thing applies to Micro-Breweries. There are lots of folks trying, but just a few really good brewers.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fredericksburg Area Wineries.....new ones to recommend?

I disagree with both Lucky and Octoboy, and I think it's unfair to really compare the Texas wine industry to California or anywhere else for that matter. The industry here is still very young and there are certainly different environmental factors. There are some very good wines being made in this state, but they are different from what many of us think of when we think of California wines. (Let's be honest though, there are some really crappy California wines, too, even in the Napa Valley. Sutter Home, anyone?) The wineries bring a lot of tourists to this area and to advise that they all be skipped is unfair to those who visit and to those you have worked very hard to build a business. Sure I would prefer a bottle of Opus One to anything from Becker, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at a bottle of Sangiovese from Duchman, a Syrah from Driftwood Vineyards, or a Cab from Flat Creek Estate.

The same goes for brewing in this area. It seems like new microbreweries are popping up every weekend. Some are good and some are not so good, but I like that they all exist. I enjoy being part of a culture where people make things they love and want to share those things with others. I'm also super-excited aobut the growing spirits industry in Central Texas. Tito's vodka, Treaty Oak rum, and Garrison Brothers bourbon are all top notch products made right in our backyard. If you haven't been out to Garrison brothers in Hye, I highly recommend the tour and tasting out there.

Rant over. :-)

In case anyone was wondering, I don't work for any of these places or know anyone who does. I'm just a fan of good local products and love seeing new things that make others want to come visit.

Edited: 10 May 2013, 14:23