We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Home base for group

Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Home base for group

We are a group of 7 siblings and spouses ages 45-55 planning a Hill country trip Labor Day week end. I am having a hard time deciding where to make our home base. We want to float the river, do a winery tour, love to do a cooking school, eat great food, would love to find a zip line or other such adventure activity, not big hikers but would like to see a pretty waterfall or such. Don't mind driving a bit to explore, under an hour would be best. We did an Austin trip together in May and had a blast. So do I look for a vrbo near Fredericksburg, new braunfels, or elsewhere?And suggestions on outings, food, day trips are greatly appreciated. We will be in the area Thursday thru Sunday. Thanks in advance Trip Advisor forums have helped me plan many trips!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,810 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Home base for group

Here is my opinion for a group of seven men and women with different tastes and opinions.

Home base Fred. or New Braunfels? My vote is on Fred. Why?

New Braunfels you will find nice VBRO's for NB, San Marcos, Canyon Lake, Wimberley etc. Sightseeing will be those four Tx towns, plus Gruene and Outlet Mall (?). It will be hot. For a NB home base you will constantly be hopping in and out of what I guess will be two vehicles (?). All sightseeing will be drive, park, visit, drive, park, visit, etc.

I love Fredericksburg because you can forget a motel venue and choose from 100's of gorgeous B&B's. What is so cool is that 50 plus are one, two or 3 blocks from Main Street. So you gal's could leave the guys on the porch or let them visit the fabulous Naval Museum (if you don't want to see it) and then meet up with them for meals or additional shopping. Even if you rent a beautiful home in the country, I feel you park very little and then walk Main Street. Sure, if you want to eat way down the street at Auslander then you will have to drive.

Peach Tree Tea Room is also recommended:

Look at Rockbox Theatre for great musical venue on stage:

F. Visitors Bureau has great website and ONLINE brochures that you can read in full online. Calendar of events for Labor Day etc.

I have been to the Nimitz Museum and it is fabulous. It is very, large and can consume hours:

I like the B&B's at Absolute Charm:

Cooking classes? Google it, but here is one:

Here is the e-edition of the tourist 144 page newspaper that is fantastic. Flip through it in the privacy of your home. There are several newspapers at that site, you want the one that says tourist:

Lastly, go to YouTube and look at videos of Fredericksburg, it is a beautiful German town with over 60% of all food, shops, art galleries, bakeries, etc. all on Main Street and the side streets. Also, go to YouTube and look at F. Wildseed Farm on video:

When it's "hot" in Tx it is not fun sightseeing. I personally would pick Fred. in that if someone "tuckers" out, you have a variety of spots to "park" them where they will be "happy" and in air conditioning. Then call them to meet up with you, send them back to "B&B rental" or walk back to where they are. You can't do that all day in New Br and surrounds without a hassle. Just one persons opinion. Hope it helps.

Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Home base for group

Thanks ever so much, that helps immensely !

3. Re: Home base for group

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 05:19
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question