We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Break Week 3/10 - 3/17

Which Galveston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Irving, TX
Level Contributor
22 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Spring Break Week 3/10 - 3/17

Just exactly what are the crowds on Galveston like during Spring Break week? Is this the wrong week to plan a family vacation with small children? We are tentatively booked to stay at the new Baymont Inn & Suites on Seawall Blvd at 63rd St.. Please tell me we're not at ground zero for the college crowds.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,153 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring Break Week 3/10 - 3/17

Anything on the seawall is crazy, but the further east you go the worse it gets. I would not recommend Galveston just due to the volume of teenagers and college students and all the craziness associated with age groups.

Irving, TX
Level Contributor
22 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring Break Week 3/10 - 3/17

So if the Seawall area is not the best place to be with small kids, could you recommend a Galveston hotel or area that is farther away from the throngs? The condos I checked like the Seascape and Casa Del Mar were booked full. Would a convention-type hotel like Moody Gardens or the Hilton be a safer family choice (or just more expensive)?

Also, are there any less crowded beaches nearby that are away from the Seawall area, and suitable for young kids who just want to build sand castles? I want my three year old's first trip to the beach to be as relaxing as it possibly can be during Spring Break week.

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,153 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring Break Week 3/10 - 3/17

Too bad Seascapes is booked, the private beach is perfect for the kids. Moody Gardens would be a good alternative, but

all the hotels and condos have their rates raised for the week. You might also try Inn at the Waterpark (next to Schlitterbahn). The HIlton I think would be busy and sold out. I have not stayed at either of these places. The only other idea would maybe be a beach house rental. They probably have a weekly minimum for this time though.

As far as beaches, you would want to head west and look at the pocket beaches like Bermuda and 7 mile road area. Stewart beach and East beach (Apffel Park) are the most popular for the Spring Breakers and anything else along the seawall will be crowded or not have much of a beach area.

Houston
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring Break Week 3/10 - 3/17

You'll be fine at the hotel you've selected. Spring Break is crowded but not near the spring break crowds that other Texas cities get (such as South Padre). Galveston gets mostly local (greater Houston area) teens and college kids but nothing like some of the wild and out of control kids Spring Break cities get. Plus school districts here seem to have staggered Spring Breaks - some colleges are off this week. Yes all the spring breakers will be on Seawall Blvd but that is the main part of the beach - so everyone will be there including famiiles like yourself. Have a good time just expect restaurants, venues to be more crowded than at other times of the year.

Not sure about Galveston but there are some hotels in cities that don't accept Spring Breakers w/o parents. You might call and ask the Baymont if they accept Spring Breakers - hopefully because they are new - maybe they won't.

Galveston
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring Break Week 3/10 - 3/17

Stewart had about 500-700 cars on it Sunday, 300-500 Saturday and that is for over 2 miles of beach. Stewart is alcohol free and very family friendly. East has alcohol and rowdier crowds. Not sure what their crowds were today.

Seawall is crowded, but everyone in Galveston gets ready for these three weeks to serve everyone coming to visit.

6. Re: Spring Break Week 3/10 - 3/17

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 03:17