We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we stay????

Which Galveston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
OK
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where should we stay????

My husband and I are planning a trip to Galveston sometime early next year. We are retired so are flexible time wise.

I've been checking out hotels/motels through tripadvisor, but am on information overload.

We want a moderately priced place with a good balcony view of the gulf.

Thanks for any info. pt

MST
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we stay????

You can't go wrong with the San Luis. Well maintained and directly accross for the Gulf. Every room has a balcony that faces the Gulf. Stay away from the Flagship and Galvez. It is my opinion that these properties have not been kept up. The Galvez looks nice from the outside, has a beautiful lobby and pool area but the rooms are very small, dark and dated. The Flagship has just become run down. It has been a few years since I visited Galvez and Flagship so maybe there has been some renovations.

If a view of the Gulf is not real important to you (which you say it is) but....The Tremont in the strand area is fabulous. Victorian decor, poster beds, wonderful linens and just an all around nice place to stay. I live in Houston so I don't travel to Galveston much but when I do I always try to stay at The Tremont.

Definitely try to go "The Phoenix" restaurant while in Galveston. It is located in the Strand area and has a cafe atmosphere. The scones are great as is all their food.

Enjoy Galveston!

OK
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we stay????

MST, thanks for the suggestion of San Luis. A local friend also told us about it. Not sure if we want to stay at a place so large.

I have read a lot of reviews (on this site) about Casa Del Mar. Can you tell me anything about it? Thanks, pt

Houston, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we stay????

Have you thought about renting a condo in Freeport? It is about 14 miles west of Galveston. Secluded area BUT has the balconies you are looking for.

we have stayed there on many occacation. If there is anything I can help you with e-mail me back at Brighteyes1128b@aol.com put Freeport in the Subject box please.

Thanks Marilyn

Midlothian, TX
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should we stay????

Polo,

We stayed at Casa Del Mar on our honeymoon, 10 years ago. It was nice, just across the street from the beach. Happened that we were there during speedboat races in September, so it was quite crowded.

It was nice, we had no complaints, but then again, it was 10 years ago....

Midlothian, TX
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should we stay????

Polo,

We stayed at Casa Del Mar on our honeymoon, 10 years ago. It was nice, just across the street from the beach. Happened that we were there during speedboat races in September, so it was quite crowded.

It was nice, we had no complaints, but then again, it was 10 years ago....good luck!

Colleen

ted
texas
Level Contributor
279 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should we stay????

you would definitely not want to stay at the casa del mar- extremely run down place. san luis is expensive for the area but a nice place. try the new la quinta around 81st and seawall.

Grand Island, N'E
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should we stay????

How about the Hilton? Is it nice?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
363 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should we stay????

I would not recommed the Casa Del Mar, but if you want a nice beach view condo, The Victorian (Seawal Blvd.) is great, reasonably priced, with a nice view of the Gulf. They do not offer daily maid service, but they have a small stocked kitchen, etc. The property is nice, and the gulf breeze is awesome. I stay there at least 2X per year.

Houston
Level Contributor
16 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where should we stay????

The Casa Del Mar is undergoing major repairs. Not probably where you want to stay this year. If you're looking for good gulf views at reasonable prices, check out the Islander East or other condos actually on the beach. Look out for all the Seawall condos and hotels that have 5 lanes of roaring traffic between you and the gulf.

College Station, TX
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where should we stay????

If you're interested in staying in a condo, try the Seascape. We stayed in #2208 a few weeks ago and it was very nice. Its a one bedroom unit with a king bed. The pool/hot tub area is very nice and the property is directly on the beach. Easy to get up in the morning and walk on the beach without having to cross the highway.