We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we stay????

Which Galveston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
OK
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where should we stay????

My husband and I are planning a trip to Galveston sometime early next year. We are retired so are flexible time wise.

I've been checking out hotels/motels through tripadvisor, but am on information overload.

We want a moderately priced place with a good balcony view of the gulf.

Thanks for any info. pt

Fort Worth, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Where should we stay????

Just stay away from Gaido's Seaside Inn. For $92 a night this place would have been acceptable. The problem is after driving 300 miles to the place I was hit with a price of $144 per room (x4), per night, as opposed to the original price I was quoted when I made my reservation almost a month prior. That was an additional $400 for two nights stay.

When presented with a confirmation number I was simply told, "Theres nothing we can do." And was told they don't even have a $92 a night price. Well, as it seems they don't have a $144 price either.

I just went online and went through the booking process for this upcoming Friday for the same rooms I was charged $144 for. This is what I found:

Checking In Friday, August 05, 2005 / Checking Out Sunday, August 07, 2005

Aug 5 Aug 6

Beachfront Two Doubles Downstairs NS $125.00 $125.00

Beachfront Two Doubles Downstairs S $125.00 $125.00

Beachfront Two Doubles Upstairs NS $130.00 $130.00

Beachfront Two Doubles Upstairs S $130.00 $130.00

Sideview Two Doubles NS $105.00 $105.00

Sideview Two Doubles S $105.00 $105.00

So apparently the highest price they advertise is $130 but charged me $144 before any taxes or other charges. BE CAREFUL dealing with these people. Make sure you get a price in writing before you start your journey.

As far as the room was concerned it was acceptable at best. The shower trickled and the bed matress was bad. One had to place a pillow to one side to prevent from rolling into the hole.

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Where should we stay????

Myhusband and I normally stay at the Casa Del Mar however it has been a year since we have been, but we are planning a trip within the next few weeks. We always had a nice condo at the Casa del Mar with a really nice view of the ocean. And the prices were always pretty reasonable because we don't go during the peak season. We have also stayed at the Victorian Inn, and Guido's. We prefer the Casa del Mar because it is close to everything including Wal-Mart and the Golden Corral. Sorry to hear others had problems at the Casa. We will always go back.

nrh
Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
422 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Where should we stay????

Look into beach house rentals. The San Luis is okay, but you do have to walk across Seawall Blvd. to get to the beach....and a VERY busy beach it is. The far west and east ends of the island are a lot more peaceful. Bolivar Island (a free ferry ride across) is really nice too. There are several real estate companies that handle rentals. For not that much more money than a hotel room, you can get a whole house...on the beach... and, in some cases, far away from the crowds.

Houston
Level Contributor
16 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Where should we stay????

If you want a relaxing view AND SOUND from the balcony, you should eliminate all the hotels with addresses on Seawall Blvd. You will open your balcony door to five lanes of roaring traffic if you stay anywhere on Seawall Blvd. Try staying at the Islander East. This condo tower is directly on the beach, with no traffic in front of it. You will be able to sit on the balcony and actually HEAR the gentle surf, not to mention having a clear view of rolling dunes and open beach.