We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harbor House on Pier 21??

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Harbor House on Pier 21??

We're coming to Galveston in a few weeks with our 14 year old son and a friend. Harbor House looks great on the internet. Any comments? We would like to be near restaurants, shopping, activities; not so much the beach. I understand that there is no pool but we would have access to pool at Hotel Galvez. Is this property close by? Their pool looks great. Any other suggestions for things to do or other properties that would be nice? We do not like huge high rises and like a good location for restaurants and activities.

Thanks.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harbor House on Pier 21??

The Harbor House is near the Strand in Galveston. There will be plenty of shopping and restaurants near your hotel. Please read the reviews from people who have stayed at The Harbor House as I have never stayed there. I prefer to be on the Seawall area of Galveston.

The Hotel Galvez IS on the seawall, so if you choose to go to their pool for a swim, you will be near many restaurants, shops, and activities available nearby such as renting bikes, four-person carriages or walking/skating along the seawall. Plus there is a wonderful sea breeze you will not receive along the Strand.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Galveston. I, personally, would stay along the seawall rather than the Strand, but that is just my two-cents. Please let us know how your trip went!

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Harbor House on Pier 21??

I agree with the other post - while the Strand area is great for shopping, there really are only two lodging accommodations on that side of the island. The Harbor House and The Tremont. I have also not personally stayed at either, so be sure to read reviews.

If you are going to be in Galveston for a couple weeks (wow!), I would prefer a condo or vacation rental home where I could cook my own meal, have a yard to enjoy, etc. You could probably find a vacation home close to The Strand, but most likely, without a pool. A condo will have the pool, but will be on the Seawall side.

You'll find everything is within a 10-15 minute drive on the island (at the most), so I personally would find accommodations that fit EVERY need and not have to travel for meals, pool, etc. If you decide on a condo, I have stayed at Seascape, and really enjoyed it.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harbor House on Pier 21??

I mis-read your post. I thought you were staying here for a few weeks, but you said you were coming in a few weeks. Sorry :)

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harbor House on Pier 21??

Thanks so much for your input. Since we're thinking about coming in a few weeks, every nice hotel that we've looked at is either booked and/or extremely expensive for a hotel room. I'm not used to paying $250 - $300 for a nice hotel room (no suite) in the South at a beach. We normally go to Perdido Key, Florida and pay that for a beautiful two bedroom condo on a white sugary beach with gorgeous pool, workout room, theater, etc.

Now we're thinking about the Hilton at Clear Lake near NASA. The Hilton at Galveston was booked. From the website, it is on a lake where there are water activities, a nice pool area and across the street from NASA. We've never been there and I think our son would enjoy it. It's about 30 miles from Galveston so we would just drive in to visit friends in Galveston and go to Schlitterbaum (sp?). We can explore the historic area one day and get a feel for the island for a return trip. (We're only there for three nights; AAA rate is $119) Comments??

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
123 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Harbor House on Pier 21??

I think that's a smart/economical decision. There is certainly a lot of shopping in that area :) I think hotels on the island are realizing how much busier this season is going to be than last year (still in recovery last year + economy), and adjusting their rates accordingly. Supply and demand. If you decide to stay on the island after all, you might be interested in a Bed and Breakfast (some do take children that age and generally do not increase their prices due to increased occupancy) or again, the Seascape Condos (their prices have not increased).

Good Luck!

6. Re: Harbor House on Pier 21??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2010, 09:15